Diabetes - Type 1 Community
skin discoloration on neck and underarms
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

skin discoloration on neck and underarms

I was recently diagnosed with Diabetes and I was researching answers for different questions when I came across a forum on this site. It talked about how a sign in young children for diabetes was that they would have discoloration on thier necks, almost like neck dirt. Ive had this for as long as I can remeber.
Sometimes it is lighter but it is always a much different color then my skin tone. I was wondering if there was anyway to get rid of it? Any certain product? Routine? What causes it?
Related Discussions
Check out the following web article on skin conditions in diabetics:
http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter231.asp

The doctor who wrote the article discusses a number of skin conditions found typically in both type 1 and type 2 diabetics. I believe the one you are interested in is called Acanthosis Nigricans. The writer discusses it and gives suggestions about treatments. I do not know if the treatments require a physician's prescription or if they are over-the-counter, but you could discuss with your own doctor.
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
im 13 years of age and i have discoloration around my neck really bad i have had teachers to evn tell me that i need to go to the bathrom and wash my neck or to wash better i dont like this and it is weird but could i have diabetes
????????????????????????????    :C
Blank
ive had discoloration under my break on my chest and even neck since ive been about 9 yrs old. i went to different doctors and all they tell me is i could have diabetes but when i got blood taken everything was normal. im tored of having this i dont even feel comfortable wearing clothes that dont cover up my chest. and theres nothing i can do in the summer because wearing a turtle neck would look silly. i really need help.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
463897_tn?1342704822
Blank
MH Community Mgr commented on Ebola Crisis Grows: W...
Oct 23
Blank
Andyjack added the Blood Pressure Tracker
Oct 21
139792_tn?1299416777
Blank
Dalubaba commented on photo
Oct 21
Diabetes - Type 1 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank