Diabetes - Type 1 Community
skin irritation/ rash?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

skin irritation/ rash?

Hi all,

My mother has been diagnosed with diabetes for nearly ten years. However, recently she has developed what looks like a rash on the back of her hands. It does not itch/burn or hurt and causes no discomfort. The best way to describe it is as a what looks and feels like a burn. Its red and you can feel it, so its not under her skin. I have been told this may just be a symptom of diabetes, can anyone tell me if it is possible that it is something else?

Thank you in advance
HI sajda,

I am one of the volunteers here, so please keep in mind that I am not a medical professional.  My input is based on experience in caring for my son, almost 11 yrs. old who was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 3.

I hate to sound ignorant, but we have not experienced this, so, I personally have no idea whether this is caused from diabetes.

My advice to you would be...
Get a 2nd opinion such as from a Dermatologist...

I am wondering if it could be eczema.  My daughter has eczema that comes and goes and at times, looks like a burn and almost everything irritates or burns it.  The winter months could definitely bring eczema out or even a drastic weather change.  (I am not saying it IS eczema...just a thought)

Has she seen a dermatologist?  That is what I would do after seeing her endocrinologist (which it sounds like you have done already)...make an appointment with a dermatologist and of course let the doc know that she has diabetes.
Hi Sajda,
I'm another volunteer here, also not a physician.  SS' advice to have your mom see a dermatologist is very good advice.  Perhaps you can find a person who works with many diabetic patients so s/he will more easily be able to determine if this is "aging" or if this is diabetes related.

There is a complication of diabetes called "Necrobiosis lipoidica" that normally is seen on the lower legs or shins but can sometimes occur in other places.  It is often caused by undiagnosed (and therefore untreated) diabetes or else long-standing diabetes.  Even folks with well-controlled diabetes can get this complication <sigh>

There is considerable information about the condition "out there," but here are some reliable websites on the subject.  

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001443.htm
http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/necrobiosis_lipoid.html
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3225/is_1_67/ai_96403855

Good luck with this.  Your mom is lucky to have you helping her!
Skin manifestations of Diabetes are rare.  The rash is most likely unrelated.

It is important to assess the amount of feeling that your mother has in her hand.  In cases of diabetes complicated by peripheral neuropathy, patients often injure their hands and feet and do not notice the injury.

There is also a common skin lesion occuring in the elderly due to fragility of the capilaries called senile purpura.  However, these lesions often will turn purple similar to a bruise.

Any chance you can email me a photo of the rash?

***@****
I'm a volunteer here and want to remind you that one of the "Terms & Conditions" of using this site is that we do not post our individual email addresses.

Our purpose here is to create a general and public forum to discuss diabetes related issues and we cannot legally offer individual medical advice.  As you may have seen, we encourage everyone to follow up with a doctor in person if they are interested in pursuing suggestions they read here.

Since we're all looking to strengthen our knowledge, we appreciate you & others sharing your insights and hope you'll accept the spirit and the terms & conditions of posting here.

All the best,
LRS
hi,

My dad has had his diabetes contition well under controlll for over 13 years now. recently he has developed a skin irritation which is very itchy. Cld anyone advice what this is and how to alleviate the problem.