sweat tastes sweet is a symptom??
Is sweet-tasting sweat a symptom of diabetes, or perhaps of some other condition?
Last night I noticed that the sweat on my face had a sweet taste, instead of the usual slightly salty taste.  In the preceding several hours, I had taken a hike, did some calisthenics, took a shower, ate supper, watched TV, ate a candy bar, and was reading before going to bed.  It was hot and humid, so I was sweating quite a bit.  The taste of my sweat was startling - I can't remember it ever tasting sweet like that.  I have a vague memory that sweet-tasting sweat is a symptom of something bad - my memory comes up with Heat Exhaustion or Diabetes.  
Thanks.
Hello hmhart,
Another good question....
Please know that I am not a medical professional, but a mother of a boy living with type 1 diabetes.  My son was diagnosed at the age of 3, he is now 10 years old.

I am going to post information about symptoms below:

People who think they might have diabetes must visit a physician for diagnosis. They might have SOME or NONE of the following symptoms:

Frequent urination
Excessive thirst
Unexplained weight loss
Extreme hunger
Sudden vision changes
Tingling or numbness in hands or feet
Feeling very tired much of the time
Very dry skin
Sores that are slow to heal
More infections than usual.
Nausea, vomiting, or stomach pains may accompany some of these symptoms in the abrupt onset of insulin-dependent diabetes, now called type 1 diabetes.

I believe that what you have retrieved from your memory bank in regards to "sweet" is pertaining to ketones.

See below:

Ketones are normally released into the urine. If ketone levels are very high or if the person is dehydrated, ketones may begin to build up in the blood. High blood levels of ketones may cause "fruity-smelling breath," loss of appetite, nausea or vomiting, and fast, deep breathing.

If you have any other symptoms that you are concerned about, I encourage you to make an appointment with your doctor.  I am unsure what "sweet" sweat would be a symtpom of or if that has anything at all to do with ketones, but I do know that once insulin production slows down enough, 2 key symptoms would be EXTREME THIRST & FREQUENT URINATION.

Take care,
SS
Thanks very much.  If sweet sweat were a symptom of diabetes, I'm sure you would be aware if it!  I'll be sure to discuss it with my doctor next time I see one.  Good luck to you and your son.
not a doctor but if your sweat is sweet then your ketones are high. go to the doctor