Diabetes - Type 1 Community
thirst, huger, frequent urination and erection probelms

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

My husband has many symptoms that I believe are associated with Diabetes. Years ago, he was diagnosed with hypoglycemia, but he will not tell his doctor all of the sysmptoms he is experiencing. His next appointment is next month and I am going with him and will talk to the doctor myself. I would like to be better informed before our visit. His symptoms include, thirst, hunger (he's always snacking on something), frequent trips to the bathroom (even at night), PLMD, he's tired all the time and will nap any time the opportunity is there, when he eats something sweet he goes into a deep sleep and I have a hard time waking him until he has "slept it off", also he has started having eretion problems. I have done alot of research on his individual symptoms and every one of them says diabetes. Please tell me if all of these symptoms are also symptoms of diabetes. Thank you.
Hello fidget,

I am not a medical professional.  My input is based on experience I have in caring for my 10 year old son who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 3.

First of all, I have heard (and read) that there are those who have hypoglycemia and never develop diabetes and then there are those who go on to develop diabetes.  

The symptoms are below:

Frequent urination
Excessive thirst
Unexplained weight loss
Extreme hunger
Sudden vision changes
Tingling or numbness in hands or feet
Feeling very tired much of the time
Very dry skin
Sores that are slow to heal
More infections than usual

I also found this information below:
"Diabetes (as many as 60 percent of diabetic men have erection problems at some point)"

If his symptoms get worse, I would not wait until October to go to the doctor.  Better safe than sorry.  Diabetes left undiagnosed can cause ketoacidosis which is extremely dangerous.  I am not trying to frighten you and I know that sometimes it is hard to get others to listen to us.  Express your concern and if necessary, have him make an earlier or urgent appointment.  Be aware of the symptoms below.

Symptoms of Ketoacidosis?

Dehydration and excess thirst
Excess urination, especially weeks or days before the diagnosis of new onset type 1 diabetes
Vomiting
Abdominal pain
Drowsiness
Difficulty breathing
Fruity smell to the breath
Ketones in your urine

*When my son was diagnosed, he had symptoms for about 2 weeks.  At first the doc thought he had strep throat and treated him for strep throat without even doing a throat culture.  I thought that possibly his increase in thirst had to do with his sore throat and his mouth being dry.  He was extremely thirsty and urinated A LOT and large amounts, as well as had an increase in appetite.  He lost weight in a short period of time, but, this I did not notice because I was with him every day.  I made another appt. and insisted that he be tested for diabetes and sure enough he was diagnosed.  He was also VERY Irritable.  We spent 3 days at the hospital and here we are 7-1/2 yrs. later.

Keep us posted and take care.
SS