Diabetes - Type 1 Community
type 1 diabetes and weight loss

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

type 1 diabetes and weight loss

I'm 29 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 18 months ago. it has been extremely difficult to lose weight since I got on insulin. i am on lantas/humalog and exercise regularly. If I work to reduce my lantus dosage while maintaining a proper blood sugar will that aid weight loss? Does anything out there help to boost metabolism in diabetics? Frustrated! Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Some people think that insulin makes people gain weight, but that is not true. CALORIES are the problem. Before the diabetic person is put on insulin, the calories you ate did not properly metabolize, and now they do. The other issue is that high blood sugar levels create a situation whereby the person may start to burn off some of his or her own body fat because the body is not able to use the carbohydrates eaten for energy... the fat cells in our bodies are our emergency energy source. And of course this is very dangerous when it happens.

So now everything is working properly, and your body is using all of the calories and carbs properly if your blood sugar levels are normal. So now you gain weight.  Cutting the calories along with the exercise is the only real solution. If you do this, then your blood sugar levels may drop some because you are eating less, and so the insulin dose may end up being less.

But don't confuse the smaller insulin dose with why you lose weight. Many of us type 1 folks take insulin every day and don't gain weight. It's just that the foods have to be balanced with calorie requirements.
Exercising is a great way to lose weight we all know that...but you have to watch your carb intake as well as your calories. Did your doctor put you on a certain diet and are you following that diet? I am on an insulin pump and I only weigh 120 lbs. I am 28 years old and have been diabetic for 10 years now. It takes time to get everyhting figured out but you may consider talking ot a nutrionist for some healthy snack ideas and a weight loss or fitness group that may help you to obtain the size you would like to be! You can do it..Good luck.