Diabetes - Type 1 Community
where i can get financial help for diabetic supplies

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

i am a type 1 diabetic currently using medtronics minimed pump for my insulin injections-the supply cost is more than i can afford and i am having to depend on my retirement age parents for help-this is unacceptable to me-where can i go to find help with these costs?
Dear woodbeegood,

Thank you for reaching out to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. We are not doctors here and so cannot give you medical advice, but as volunteers we can share our personal knowledge and experience living with type 1 diabetes.

You're not alone dealing with this problem and I admire your desire to try not burden your parents (although they obviously would do anything to keep you healthy). I have researched some of the pharmaceutical companys that provide discounts for people that either don't have the insurance coverage or are low income. Here are some of the websites that I have discovered.

http://www.helpingpatients.org. This is the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA).

http://www.diabetesmeds.org/

This next one is site for low cost meds on E-Bay and I will admit I am not familiar with it. Please use caution on any websites, but it is http://listings.ebay.com/aw/plistings/list/category117801index.html.

Some states have group insurance coverage that you can join if you are uninsured and this may be something to look into if you are working or unemployed with some income.

I hope this has helped. Please continue to watch for other comments for additional information and let us know how you are doing. So many people are in the same situation and I know how frustrating it is.

Good Luck,
dm
thank you for your help-i let my son's girlfriend sign on to ask the question and i will forward the info to her. it's bad enough to have to deal with this disease but the associated finacial costs astound me!
i am type 2 diabetic.i must test at least 2 times a day.i do not have insurance and canot aford to continue to buy test strips.i have gotten free meters,is there help with test strips
These aren't free but they are really cheap. Walmart carries the Relion family of meters. Get the Prime meter. It's about $16. But here's the good part. It's only $9 for a bottle of 50 test strips. There isn't a meter out there that has that kind of cost for strips. I have found it to be very reliable in the numbers.