Diabetes - Type 2 Community
153 sugar level. Just found out few days ago

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Hi Dr.
I just found out my blood sugar level for last 3 month was close to 150 and i am very concerned. How bad it is and i m 30 years old.

This discussion is related to Masturbation.
First, there are no doctors on this forum although a medical student may drop by every so often.

How did you find out your levels were close to 150? Have you discussed this with a medical professional?

With so little information given, I can only surmise that
you absolutely MUST start making some dietary changes as well as hopefully increasing exercise. Research shows even small amounts of weight loss(5-10 pounds) will decrease glucose, as well as help high blood pressure. Your current glucose ranges are too high and definitely need treatment to avoid complications from diabetes.

Be sure to give dietary changes and exercise a good try and stick with those changes. Keep checking blood sugars regularly. Drink lots of water, cut out all sodas and juices.  Stay in close contact with your doctor so that your regimen can be changed if necessary.
I have been a diabetic for over 20 years and my current A1C is 7.7 I take Janumet 50mg/1000mg twice a day and Glyburide 2.5mg twice a day.
I do cardio exercises 4days a week.
Any suggestions?
Nathan
If you are unable to get your blood sugar down with the oral meds you are on, it sounds like it may be time to start with insulin. Twenty years is a long time, and that is a natural progression of the disease, not a sign of failure. 7.7 is too high and you are at risk for complications.
the government doesnt want to heal us, thats why like cancer there will never be a cure.. if we dont get sick.. then what would the doctors do..and so on.. the band isnt always safe,, the gastric by pass surgery is a last resort for me.. im 42 and 250. but i cant get it,.. i cant intake potassium, cause thats bad for the kidneys, so massive cramps at night. cant drink to much water, cause, it depletes too much potassium. what gives.. this is nuts.. i dont wanna live with this anymore.. i dont know what to eat or what to do.. no body really knows how to fix it..  did people in the old days have issues with diabetes... a few but how did it get so bad... they are just killing us off.. slowly, there wont be any money for when i go to retire anyway.. i wont make it to retirement,,,

a slow death!  It is tough, but the bottom line is that you need to take personal responsbility for your health rather than expecting someone else (the government or doctors to heal you).

Weight gain and diabetes is contributed to poor diet and lifestyle choices (even though you can't control your genetics).

It is not easy.  but diet (I recommend low carb) and exercise are the way to go.  Read up!  There are many good sources of online information. You have to reach that point of no return when finally you realise enough is enough and you then make the changes that need to be made to control your health and your life.

Best wishes.  We are all in similar boats here.  you are not alone.
I love you dearly, you know that, but I have to disagree with the statement, "Weight gain and diabetes is contributed to poor diet and lifestyle choices (even though you can't control your genetics)."

Lord knows how many skinny people are plagued with diabetes and even with a very strict diet and/or insulin; their diabetes is very hard to control.  This is the way it was for my grandfather.

I totally agree with you though, that if you are overweight, have poor eating habits and little exercise, your diabetes would be very hard to control.  I believe one of your most important lab result, is your A1C levels.  They tell the true story of your glucose control over the past 3 month period.

Diabetes can definitely be a silent killer, just as high blood pressure can be.  High levels of glucose in your blood, is like little, minute "crystals" floating around in your blood.  These crystals have sharp edges on them (best way I know how to describe it) and they are what causes the damage to your blood vessels.  The smallest of our blood vessels can cause the most problems, if your glucose levels are too high.  Such as the blood vessels that go to our feet.

High glucose causes damage to the peripheral nerves, thus causing areas of numbness.  It is most noticeable in the hands and feet.  When this damage occurs in the feet, you are less able to feel if you have a small blister or sore on your foot.  Left untreated in a diabetic, can be the cause of you actually losing your foot due to an overwhelming infection, possibly leading to death of tissue.

In the meantime, think about those "crystals" doing damage to the vessels in your heart and kidney's, to name two areas.

Diabetes is nothing to ignore.  If you are overweight, you must get your weight under control.  You would be surprised how your blood sugar goes down, just by taking a walk.

Eating sugar does not CAUSE diabetes, but if you already have diabetes, sugar is something you need to stay away from.  Carbohydrates, like pasta, breads, etc., are the things you have to watch carefully.

With extra care and a little hard work, you can control your diabetes.  Work closely with your doctor and possibly a nutitionist to help you in your quest to lead as normal a life as possible, without having to deal with the silent damage that uncontolled blood glucose levels can do to your body over time.

We can't do anything about genetics, as Sally says, but we don't have to give up and quit, either.  You can kick diabetes in the pants and stay on top of this battle.  Never give up.....You can do it.

I just saw that this post is over a year old.....so the original poster, probably will never seen it, nor the person with the second post.....oh well...