A1c Test - 6.4
I had an A1c test in August 2012 which was 6.9 without me being on a diet.  In December it was 7.3 with a diet!  Well I did a home test today (got the kit at Walmart for $30.00 for 2 tests) and my test showed my A1c @  6.4.  I have been eating mostly fish and taking Cinnamin supplements, Vit D, but  just haven't had time to go get a blood test done *(didn't want to take time off of work)* so I invested in an A1c home test.  I was so happy that my A1c went down from 7.3 to 6.4!  I am hoping to even lower my A1c more!  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my A1c lower or will time time take care of that if I stay on my diet?  Thanks !

your A1C of 7.3 in December (or 6.3) latest are still above normal, considering that persons without diabetes will test at < 5.0.

Great that you are using lifestyle measures to help.

If you are overweight, reaching optimal weight will have a big benefit.  Keep up your efforts on the diet.  A low carb diet (avoid grains, fruits, sweets) and focus on low carb veges and proteins and healthy fats will be very beneficial.  You could also look up the book "diabetes solutions" which explains low carb diet and blood sugar management.

Do you have a blood glucose meter?  If you have one of these you can test 1 1/2 - 2 hours after eating a meal and you can then see the effecvt of that meal and use the results to modify what you are eating.  Normal blood glucose should be < 120 at all times.

You could also add in exercise.  A 30 minute brisk walk after each meal (or whenever you can fit it in) will also contribute to improving your blood sugars.

If your next test (repeat in about 2 months) is still high, would recommend that you see a Dr. and probably try some medication such as metformin to further assist you in your efforts.

Keep up the good work!

I am down to about 100 lbs on this diet I put myself on.  I used to weight about 112 - 115.  My diet was 2 fold - 1 was to lower my blood sugar and 2 - to lower my cholesterol.  I do have a glucose monitor and it is usually under 120 two hours after eating, but this morning it was 141 when I took a fasting blood sugar test, I did have an avacado, healthy choice fudge bar (I cheated) pasta and peanuts!  Just wondering doesn't a person build up a resistance to metformin and need more and more, or does metformin eventually stop working?  I am so guilty of not exercising enough!  I work full time and my excuse is that I am too tired to walk.  Thanks so much for your input.  Julie :)