Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Anyone use Holy Basil? Did it work for glucose levels?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

I have read holly basil can reduce blood sugar. Sound to good to be true. Again anyone actually know this to be true from your blood glucose #'s lowering?.

My blood glucose can be 100 to 105 at times, doc says no big deal.  Well, It best to stop it from going up. I I'm interested in anything that can get it into the 80 - 90 range again.  

No, I do not consume sweets, pop ect, have a good diet already.

thanks
"I'm interested in anything that can get it into the 80 - 90 range again."
Do not eat white foods - white bread, white flour, white rice, white potatoes, etc. These are high carbohydrate foods that after eaten turn into sugar. Keep your cholesterol levels - HDL & triglycerides - at normal levels too. High lipids and high glucose go hand-in-hand.

Holly basil? Used in Thai cooking. Not proven to help with diabetes nor proven to lower blood glucose levels. There's lots of snake oil on the internet touting this and that cure but all unproven. Don't be a sucker for gimmick marketing ads. Exercise daily, maintain proper weight, and eat correct foods. These help the most to lower and maintain blood glucose levels.
I do all that already, not over weight either.

Thats why I'm looking for more ways to lower. Doesn't look like there is much else I can do.
I'm going to assume no meds and you exercise daily, right? If not start today. Ever had your thyroid and pancreas checked? An abnormal thyroid, or one getting abnormal, will disrupt the pancreas' ability to produce insulin when needed. A "tired" pancreas will not function correctly.
6' 170 BMI of 14 at 42, I am above decent physical condition for my age. Was a past competitive athlete.., I still exercise, always will.

Yes, I am hypothyroid and have been treated for years. Am well versed onthyroid too, still many of us have glucose issues. Currently having issues from thyroid med change (hypo at the moment), that might be why glucose was at 105 (non fasting) two weeks ago instead of my regular 100.?

Never had my pancrease checked. Didnt know you could. Had a two hour sugar load test - glucose was fine on that, wierd.
"Never had my pancrease checked. Didnt know you could."

The pancreas test is called C-Peptide. It helps to determine how much insulin the pancreas is still producing. Any insulin that the body does make will be reflected in their C-peptide level.

You also might consider getting a GAD antibody test. That, in conjunction with the C-Peptide WaveRider mentions will clarify your diabetes type. Your low body weight and having another autoimmune condition (thyroid) may suggest you are actually LADA/Type 1.5, rather than Type 2. Many Type 2's are misdiagnosed simply by age.
Just for clarification, glucose under 125 in not diabetes yet, so why do you say

"C-Peptide WaveRider mentions will clarify your diabetes type" if I dont have diabetes.

The gray area of glucose (under 125) is not diabetes, its glucose thats a tad higher than it should be.

Either way I will mention the above to my doctor even though he insists I am fine.
If your fasting blood sugar is from 100 to 125 that is considered pre-diabetes. It is considered a precurser to diabetes and is an opportunity to make changes and to observe the results before it progresses. Many people aren't even aware they are pre-diabetic and don't find out until they are symptomatic. You ARE fine and I hope you stay that way, but since you posted on this board and sound like a person who takes good care of yourself and likes to have information I'm just presenting you with some food for thought. You could choose to not worry about it at this point and just keep it in mind in case your numbers rise. But if you have the antibodies for Type 1 diabetes (LADA) then that gives you a great deal of information about what to expect down the road and the need to be more proactive.
Yes that 105 was non-fasting. At 42 I am interested in maintaining my health, at this age it is somewhat in our control - if we chose correctly. Having Hashimotos for many years and whatching it progress was an eye opener. I also learned of the thyroid - diabetic antibody disease link not long ago.

I do see an Endo for thyroid, so I will ask about that c-peptide, and GAD antibody test.

Hey- Thanks for the info, I just wish there was something to lower glucose as it slowly goes up over the years. On the other hand, I have no idea what it was in my 20's - never checked it then, most dont.
I don't know much about alternative treatments (I'm a LADA on insulin) but in general, the best way to keep blood sugar low is by exercise, good BMI and less carb intake. Good luck to you!
You can eat hairy basil seed (group for holy basil, sweet basil in thailand). I try to test that it good work for low glucose range 80 - 90.   before i have 93 glucose, i eat hairy basil seed 1g. Per day after take food in dinner. I try to test 4 week. My glucose is 80 - 90 .
If your 100 to 105 1 hour after eating I assume a high carb meat (that is what we are told to eat)  then there is nothing wrong with your BG

carbs raise BG  and the body releases stored insulin (faze 1 response)to control the BG rise then the pancreas makes more insulin and there is a lag time for normal insulin response (after faze 1 insulin response) so normal people will have a elevated BG after eating.  fasting BG is 65 to 80 after eating 100 or 105 is not abnormal.

but if your still concerned carbs raise BG  ( carbs are NOT an essential nutrient)