Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Apple Cider Vinegar? Cinnamon?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Apple Cider Vinegar? Cinnamon?

Dr Ramsetty-

There seems to be a fair amount of conflicting information on the web as to whether adding apple cider vinegar and / or cinnamon to ones diet can help in blood sugar control.  I would certainly consider adding both of these things to my diet if they would assist.

Do you have any advice?
The use of cinnamon to assist in modulating blood sugars has been well documented. I haven't seen any studies on apple cider vinegar.  That doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work. Whether or not it helps depends upon exactly how far your diabetes has progressed. Certainly for a borderline diabetic it would be helpful. The studies I came on suggested two teaspoons of cinnamon per day.
Dr Ramsetty no longer moderates on the Ask A Doctor forum. Your post has been forwarded to this patient-2-patient forum.

As far as cinnamon reducing and/or controlling glucose levels in humans, the jury is still out and has been for the past 5-7 years. Five years ago the recommended daily intake was 1/4 tsp. I see from caregiver's post, it's being suggested at 2 tsp per day. I eat three meals a day and don't have the faintest clue as to how to spread 2 tsp of cinnamon throughout the day. At breakfast, I use approx 1/4-1/2 tsp for a bowl of oatmeal. That's about the max I can tolerate in one sitting. You may be different and tolerate larger servings. I can't tell if cinnamon has helped to control my diabetes as I watch my food intake, exercise, and stay away from sugar period. Everything I do helps to contribute to controlling and managing my diabetes. But the benefits of cinnamon is worth you trying. I buy mine in bulk from my local health food store. A heck of lot cheaper than the bottle stuff and just as good.

Arizona U. and other studies showed testing with apple cider vinegar (ACV) slowed the rise of blood sugar after a high-carbohydrate breakfast. OK, but isn't this being a defeatist. High carbs are bad for T2's so you take ACV to slow the absorption of something you shouldn't have ingested? Ah-duh, don't eat the high carbs and you won't need the vinegar. There's been other studies with ACV before bedtime showing lowered glucose levels. But the study was very small and the duration was short, so more research is needed. Bottom line, nothing is conclusive and the jury is still out on this one.

If you decide to start swallowing 2 Tbsp of ACV nightly be sure to understand its side effects. And post back your results so others can share in it too.
I'm not advocating cinnamon, nor can I vouch for the doseage, which was included in a hand-out from a naturopathic clinic. The recommendation was to divide the intake into 1/4 teaspoon doses, mixed with food. Unfortunately, many of these alternative medicine studies are anecdotal. As far as the viniger, what waverifer says makes a lot of sense.
Apple cider vinegar is good in the fact it is rich in minerals. I would drink a lot of distilled water with three tablespoons of acv added to a gallon. I would suggest a hair sample analysis to see how off balance you are with minerals and supplement as necessary. If you take acv straight up it can and will erode the enamel off your teeth. I would suggest chromium and other minerals for balance. Avoid foods that have high fructose corn syrup since it is a legal poison and should be avoided like the plague because it is the source of the diabetes plague.
I was told vinegar slows down absorption of carbs.