Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Blood Sugar Levels (Young person vs Older person)

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

Is the blood sugar level expected to RISE with age?  EXAMPLE:  If a person is 21 years old, healthy, NON-diabetic and have a fasting blood sugar of 72 would you "expect" the same fasting blood sugre level (72) from a 60 year old, healthy NON-diabetic person?
Glucose rise with age? No. I don't know of anyone who consistently hits the same fasting number every single time. Fasting levels between 70 (some say 72) and 100 are considered good. Keep in mind the optimum number is in the middle. The closer you are to 70 or 100 you run the risk. Nutrition and exercise are the keys to a healthy non-diabetic body.
Avatar n tn
Regarding the "young vs older person" scenario, it would appear to me that a pancreas that has been pumping insulin for 60 years would not be as efficient or in as great a shape as a pancreas which has been pumping insulin for only 21 years.  Time will take it's toll on everything.  We've all heard medical personnel say "for a 60 or 70 year old that person is in great shape".  I'm quite sure that same body conditon if applied to a 21 year old would not be so great.
"I'm quite sure that same body conditon if applied to a 21 year old would not be so great."

You're comparing apples and oranges
A fasting blood sugar of 80-120 is considered normal whether you're 21 or 60.
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
gymdandee commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
39 mins ago
Paxiled commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
Dee1956 commented on THIS NEW FORUM STINKS...