Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Blood glucose tests and smoking

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

Blood glucose tests and smoking

I'm having some blood work done that will include a glucose test. The requisition form includes instructions to fast for 12 hours prior to the test, but does not mention anything about tobacco use, and I do unfortunately smoke.

Perhaps to be safe I should abstain from smoking as well as food prior to the test, as nicotine could affect my blood glucose levels. But on the other hand, doesn't *nicotine withdrawal* also affect blood glucose levels? I've heard it claimed that some nicotine withdrawal symptoms are really mild hypoglycemia, although I am unsure about the accuracy of that claim.

Any suggests on how to proceed? What about smoking a couple of hours before the test, so that I would have neither significant nicotine in my system nor be in significant withdrawal? Note that I have no current diagnosis of diabetes, but that possibility is one reason my glucose is being tested.
I do not think smoking will really affect your fasting glucose test.  I am not positive, but why not ask your doctor before having the blood test done.
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I'm planning to go first thing tomorrow morning. But if smoking was problematic for this test then wouldn't the instructions explicitly prohibit it?
Your right they would have said something to you if you couldn't smoke before your blood fasting test.  
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight