Blood sugar right after meal
I checked my blood sugar of 196mg/dL right after my dinner (big one) at 6:30PM. I was really nervous because I had never done that before and was just curious. Then I checked one hour later at 7:30PM and it went down to 115mg/dL. I then checked again before bedtime at 11PM and it was 97mg/dL (after one hour working out).
This morning I checked at 6AM and it was 78mg/dL.
My question: is it normal that the blood sugar is 196mg/dL right after meal?
Thanks,
Ken
What you don't say is if you are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes! If so, you should be doing your testing two hours after your meal to get an accurate reading (and it should be back down to under 140 at that point). If you are just wondering if you are diabetic, then if you are spiking to 196 that is not a good sign and you should be tested.
Yes, I am diabetic. I was diagnosed this January and have been on metformin 500 mg/dL since then. My doctor said that I should test my blood glucose 2 hours after meal, but last night I was curious and tested immediately after meal to see what the number would be. I exercise 1 to 2 hours everyday as well watch my diet carefully. Would you tell me if BG of 196 (right after meal) is acceptable for a diabetic?
Thanks,
Ken
Any sustained blood sugars over 140 are when complications begin. So if the blood sugar spikes up that high and comes right back down it isn't as bad as if it stays there for awhile, but it would be better not to get that high altogether. But it really doesn't make sense that your blood sugar would be that high right after eating. It usually takes awhile to reach its highest point which is why we are told to test at 2 hours (though some people hit their peak a bit sooner). The question to me would be what was your blood sugar before you started eating?
I am new with diabetes and really don't know why it went too high to 196 and fell back to 115 in one hour. Other than that, my fasting blood glucose range is from 70 to 90, and my BG 2 hours after meal and before bedtime are form 90 to 110. I've been checking my blood sugar for the last two weeks after my doctor gave me the meter.

The question to you was right after meal, not before. Before meal is under 100. As I said, I checked right after meal because I was curious. I've never been told to check at this time.
I have no clue why that would happen! I asked about before the meal, in case you hadn't checked then and the number represented a high that existed even before you ate, but it sounds like it wasn't. Unfortunately diabetes management is not an exact science and sometimes we get numbers that don't make sense. Sometimes a high gives us useful information about how something we ate affected us, or results of exercise, etc. Sometimes it is inexplicable. It isn't important though to stress too much over an occasional high. It sounds like in general you're doing great!
Thanks Zoelula! I don't know why either. That's why I posted the question up here.
Tonight I checked it again right after meal. It was 137. I ate salad this evening. I am positive it must go down right now at most 110 though I did not measure yet. (Last night I had a small sweet potato as well as a half bowl of brown rice with chicken and fish balls) I will do it before bed time, which is usually about 90 to 100. This morning, my fasting BG was 87.