Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Borderline type II

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Borderline type II

My doctor just told me that I am slightly hypertensive and borderline type II diabetic. She put me on the diet plan for daibetics and I like it. I've been losing weight and getting energy highs then I get the "munchies" for popcorn and BBQ chips. I can't drink fruit juices or anything else except diet soda, water, and diet teas or sugar free Kool Aid. But if I drink the sugar free stuff I get so "gassy" and diarrhea. This part ***** big time. I asked her about testing my blood sugar and she told me I didn't need to as I am not full blown type II- just to be sure to follow the diabetics diet. I do this and have had no other symptons like she told me about, and I feel great- physically. Emotionally though I feel like I am just going throught the motions with everybody I know asking me all the time how I am doing etc. This ***** as I am normally a very outgoing person just I feel like a pariah with everyone else for not drinking or earting like they still do.
Yes, it can be hard when you can't eat and drink the same as everyone around you. But it sounds like you feel good about how you are eating and that's what counts. After awhile it will feel normal and you will even be a good role model for others by eating the way everyone should! Just don't get too arrogant around people who still eat junk because it doesn't win you any friends! I don't agree with your doctor about not testing your blood sugar. I don't think you need to be obsessive about it but regular testing can give you an idea how things affect your blood sugar. There is really no standard "diabetic diet" because we are all different and have different abilities to tolerate carbs. Also, if your numbers start to increase into the diabetic category you will know it sooner rather than later.
My parents were recently diagnosed borderline diabetic and they've made quite a few changes to their diet and started exercising a lot more. Their blood sugar is now back in the normal range. It's definitely not as much fun when you can't eat what everybody else is eating (this is true for dieters too!) but maybe you can help change other people's bad eating habits. By the way, if you do get the munchies, I would suggest you avoid those sugar-free drinks like Koolaid and diet sodas. I'm on the Ultrametabolism Diet and the doctor that wrote the book recommends against eating any artificial sweeteners. When you eat something sweet, your tastebuds tell your body to produce insulin. When you produce insulin and there's no sugar for the insulin, the insulin then tells your brain there isn't any sugar and then you crave sugar, leading to the munchies. I'm sure I'm not explaining it well, but I think if you try to avoid sweeteners and eat whole grains instead of processed foods, you'll avoid the munchies.