Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Brown Spots a Remnant of Gestational Diabetes?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

I had diet controlled gestational diabetes for all three of my pregnancies.  I've since been tested negative for regular type II diabetes and my youngest is three.  I have no remaining symptoms but have noticed that since the last time I had the gestational, I have some flat brown spots at the top of my inner thighs right before the groin area.  The skin is flat, not flaky or itchy and is the same as the non-brown area except for the color which seems to get darker some days and lighter other days.  I am wondering if this is a lingering complication of the gestational diabetes?  I can't see my new doctor until July so I am hoping for some advice here in the meantime.
Thats a new one for me. I had gestational diabetes at age 19, and dignosed diabetic at age 58. But don't have and have never heard of anyone with diabetes with spots as a symptom. Call your dr's nurse and ask. She should know iif he would need to see them and check them out.
Let me know what you find out about those brown spots. I've had them for 21 years now. On hot summer days they are darker than on cool winter days. I only had one child (21 years ago). I was not diagnosed with any type of diabetes. My doctor's had always said, "It's nothing to worry about". "Probably just hormonal". "If they don't burn or itch then they're just cosmetic, nothing to be concerned about." 21 YEARS LATER, I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY NONE OF THESE DOCTORS CARE TO FIND OUT WHY. I thought there must be an underlying cause. I bought a glucose meter, strips, etc... and starting testing a year ago. If I eat over 20 grams of carbs in one meal my glucose is between 125 and 170. That's up to 4 hours after I eat. If I keep my carbs below 20 grams per meal my 2 hour glucose is between 85 and 104. Apparently glucose is a problem. Morning glucose is always good so it wouldn't have shown up in a Fasting Glucose any way. 80 to 100 is perfect glucose. I think there may be a link with this skin condition so I would really love to hear back from you. I now have a spot between my nose and top lip (not as pronounced), just below my belly button, both upper eyelids, just below one elbow, and above one ankle. None itch or burn and they are not raised. I have smaller, rougher dark spots (age spots as the doctor said) between my eyes and hairline. Small broken cappillaries on my cheeks and nose. After the doctor decided I was pre menopause at 32 I just figured he was right and kept waiting for my periods to stop. 8 years later the periods were just worse and I opted for a hysterectomy. Hormones were all in normal range including thyroid. All blood test came out good (red count, white count, etc...) Blood pressure and heart rate good. No glucose test was done. Two different doctors during the decision of the hysterectomy and neither thought glucose testing was necessary since I'm not overweight. I did have 3 complex cysts on one ovary (ovary removed), 3 cysts in a fallopian tube (fallopian tube removed), 3 areas of endometriosis on abdominal tendons (burned ednometriosis away) and removal of cervix (due to dysplasia No. 3 at age 32 and I just didn't want to have to deal with the chance of reoccurance since they were doing the other surgery any way). The  preliminary scanning had shown one cyst on one ovary and one small tumor of the uterus. None of the other things were found until surgery was started. All cysts and tissues were biopsied and found to be benign. Yeah!  All of the skin spots are still here a year and a half later and only running on one ovary.  Before the surgery the only brown spots I had were at the top of my inner thighs. All the rest are since the surgery. I'm not on hormones, just running on one ovary. Once a month PMS indicates that it is still working :)  I'm not overweight. 5'6" at 104 pounds. I got up to 130 pounds when I was pregnant 21 years ago and back down to 112 when my baby had her 6-week well check exam (baby was very healthy at 8 pounds at time of birth). Weight has only been a problem as far as having any weight. Always been a big eater with a low body weight until I got that glucose monitor. I was 112 pounds from 6 weeks after giving birth until last year (41 years old) when I lowered my carb intake to get my glucose to be below 110 at 2 hours after a meal. Please share with us what you find out. I hope you have a good doctor who really likes to get to the root of problems. I wish my doctors would have been better when I had medical insurance. The hysterectomy was paid by cash of $12,000.00. A little credit carding, a little family help, all our savings and now I'm really hesitant to go back! Please write back with the news you get.