Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Can Eating Too Little Carbs Cause Problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Hi, This is my second post.  After days of tears I decided I need to fight for this disease.  This morning I had a piece of bread + soy milk + almond.  I think it would be around 10g of carbs.  I took one cup of blueberries 2 hours later.  My lunch consisted rice and vegi and tofu, esimated to be 20-25 carbs.  After lunch I had some almonds and 1 cup blueberries.  For dinner I will have about 35 carbs rice and vegi and chicken.  I will walk 30 mins after that.  Am I taking too little carbs.  What problems will it cause by having too little carbs?  If I keep doing this forever will I have diabetes complications?  I think I consider myself pre-diabetes at this point and yet I need to be confirmed by the doctor. Thanks a lot.
Why we need carbohydrates http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=Lkg&q=why+we+need+carbs&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Um, I will avoid the whole "need carbs" vs "need no carbs" argument for this post... but... with diabetes, it really is important to have a clear idea of what one is eating in terms of nutritional content and carbs especially, and regular self-testing to see how those carbs change your blood sugar. If the amounts of food you listed are correct, then the amount of carb you estimated seems to be very low (example, your breakfast; I would estimate that one slice of bread at 15 carbs on its own...)  Regardless, the best way to "know" how what you are eating is having an effect is to test your blood sugar ... for at least two weeks, keep a diary of what you eat, and record your blood sugar tests, including "fasting" meaning within an hour of waking up (before eating anything) and then testing everytime before you eat, one hour after, and two hours after... and that will really clue you in to what foods "work" for your body and what doesn't...  I *know* that stinks (trust me) but there's really no other way to seriously figure out what foods help or hurt...
HI,

I agree with Pete919 that they only way you will know for sure what effect various foods are having on your blood sugar levels is to test. Of course you need carbohydrates in your diet!  The question is what type and how much.  

You mention bread and rice, but you do not say what type of bread and rice.  If they are not *whole grain* (eg whole grain bread and brown rice) you are missing the fiber and many other vital nutrients found in complex carbs, and practically guaranteeing a rapid spike in blood sugar.

For breakfast, add a tablespoon of nut butter (almond butter is more nutritious and more easily digested vs. peanut butter) to your whole grain toast, or a slice or two of lean turkey bacon or turkey sausage.  What about eggs?  They are an excellent inexpensive protein source.

Also, blueberries are a great fruit, and high in antioxidants, but again, add some variety.  Blackberries, for example, have the most fiber of almost any fruit.  If you can't get fresh, buy them frozen.  Add a half cup to hot whole grain cereal, such as oatmeal, and sprinkle with some chopped almonds and a dash of soy milk.

It's very important to include a balanced amount of fiber, healthy fats and lean protein in every meal, along with carbohydrates.  This will help you keep your blood glucose levels even, you will feel more satisfied, and you will certainly be healthier.  

Is there a reason you are eating so much rice?  Even if it is brown rice, I would vary this more.  Also include a small handful of nuts in your diet every day - excellent source of fiber, minerals, and healthy fats.  

Hope this helps!  - Vonalda Utterback, CN

Thanks so much for your information.  I read an article that eating too little rice cause major diseases such as cancer.  I eat brown rice and all wheat bread.  For the past two weeks I have lost 4 or 5 pounds so I am 110 pounds now and 5.3" for height.  However, I feel dizzy most of the time.  I am thinking I overdo myself.  I eat little and walk half or one hour each day. I tested one time when I was dizzy and the reading was 91(I ate something at the grocery store before that. The meter makes me very nervous so I try not to test often).  I am wondering what cause my dizziness. My blood pressure has always been very low, such as 90/60.  Does diabetes cause low blood pressure?  Also I am thinking if I should lose more weight, like another 5 pounds.  Does that help?  I am as thin as before pregnancy however I have some mid-body fat that I did not have before.