Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Can Type 2 Diabetes cause you to feel sleepy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

I was recently diagnosed the end of June of this year with Type 2 Diabetes.  I am on metformin 100mg in the evening with dinner.  My question is that whenever (most times) I eat, I get very sleepy.  Doesn't matter if I am eating something that is basically carb  free, I get to the point where  I can't keep my eyes open.  This is very unusual for me because I have had problems with sleep due to another medical condition for years.  I lay down because I will go to sleep sitting up (and have) sleep a couple of hours and be fine.  Again, this is not after eating sweets, or starches, but something I am supposed to eat.  Anyone else have this problem?  My A1C is just barely over what it is supposed to be, and my BG levels other than first thing in the morning are great.  In the am they are in the high 120'/low 130's.
Anyone else have this and what can be done to help it?  Time of day makes no difference.
You post gave us a lot of general information but lack specifics. There is simply not enough information to work with.

1.) "but something I am supposed to eat."
What is "something"? Eating "sweets" will only make your diabetes worse.

2.) "My A1C is just barely over what it is supposed to be"
And what number are we talking about here? "Barely" doesn't cut the cake, you're still above normal. Something you're doing in your lifestyle keeps your glucose above normal.

3.) "my BG levels other than first thing in the morning are great."
And what number are we talking about here? How long after a meal? If it's postprandial, then your eating habits are in need of change.

4.)  "In the am they are in the high 120'/low 130's."
When in the "am"? - Prandial or postprandial? If prandial these numbers are high.

5.) Are you at normal weight?

6.) Do you perform physical exercise daily?

7.) Are you watching your carb intake?
The other poster was right. It's good to know some specifics to pinpoint some things.
For me and diabetes i also have sleep apnea. The sleeping episodes you are speaking of remind me of when before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I would eat the smallest amount of food and fall asleep at the table. Or sitting in front of the tv 10 minutes after I ate a meal.
Although I have my BG levels under control I still have sleep apnea.

I know before being diagnosed with diabetes I was very sleepy all the time, felt sick, and the other noraml symptoms. With it under control and using a CPAP machine I am feeling 100 times better than before. This may not be for you but I would check with your doctor about any sleep problems you may be having. Can't hurt.
I suspect the dose of metform is 1000 mg, rather than 100 mg. In any event, you need to get a glucose meter and for a few days, resolve to take numerous blood sugar readings before meals, an hour after, two hours after, etc., and correlate the readings with food intake. This is something nobody can do for you. In addition get a TSH test to determine thyroid function. Waveride has provided you with excellent advice. An A1C test every three months is insufficient to determine your diabetic status.
Does anyone know of a link between long-term (5 years) exposure to kerosene combustion and vapours and Type II Diabetes ????
If you have  a question not related to the subject matter in this post [which you don't] you need to open a new post. But I'll quickly answer you. Diabetes and breathing hydrocarbons? No relationship.

GIYF - See this on hydrocarbon inhalation problems
http://tinyurl.com/breathinghydrocarbon

If you have further questions, please open a new post.
As waverider stated, there is absolutely no documented correlation between inhaling kerosene combustion vapors and diabetes.