Can Type 2 diabetes be reversed?
Can Type 2 diabetes be reversed That was the question I had 3 years ago. But, today I know the answer is Yes. Here's my story in a nutshell:
I struggled with diabetes for years. After I was put on insulin, I gained a lot of weight. But, my wife stuck by me; and, convinced me to read a book called"Death to Diabetes".
It changed my life! Actually, it saved my life (and my marriage).
My average blood sugar is now 91.3, and my A1C is 5.1%. Plus, I lost 43 pounds.
Now, I speak about diabetes at various health fairs and community events educating other diabetics and even some diabetes educators, when I'm not traveling or boating.

The author of "Death to Diabetes" promotes a plant-based diet, regular exercise, frequent blood glucose testing, and spirituality. He's an engineer who almost died from a diabetes coma, but he now travels around the country doing workshops..
Here's the author speaking about diabetes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ECUOu2rFto

What I liked is that my wife didn't have to buy his book (although she did later). This man provides his program free of charge on his website!

p.s. I didn't provide the website address because I was kicked out of the last forum for sharing a website link

Sincerely,
Thomas
The answer is a very qualified "yes". A more appropriate conclusion would be that diabetes, in certain cases, can go into remission. There is, however, no evidence there is a "cure" for type 2 diabetes, anecdotal experiences notwithstanding.

The problem is with these "magic" books is that they often cause patients to stop taking insulin or other medications.

Certainly various diets, exercise and spirituality help, but to make a statement that diabetes can be "cured" by a special diet and spirituality is absurd and disingenuous.
The answer is NO you are controlling diabetes with diet and exercise. if you go back to your old way of eating the BG will rise again. so you are controlling it.

if your cured you will be able to eat a big pasta dinner then have birthday cake and wash it down with Coke every day, can you?

not cured!
Just back from my three month doctor visit. He said my diabetes has been reversed. But I 'm not about to reverse my diet regimen to what got me into this non-curable disease in the first place.
There's no "cured", only "controlled".
And apparently reversible, if you maintain a proper low carb diet and get the weight off. When diagnosed my BMI was north of 36,now south of 26 and going lower.
Sorry to hijack your discussion but I'd like to add my 2 cents; You're both correct as Tom is saying control while asok is saying manage. The term "reversed" is subjective yet usually defined on two levels; control AND manage. In order to reverse ones diagnosis from pre-diabetic/diabetic and have their glucose levels return and remain normal one must do both, control and manage their lifestyles. Kudos to both of you by showing others it can be done.

However, this is not the case for everyone. Others are unable to "reverse" their levels and must rely on medication assistance even when adhering to strict lifestyle changes.