Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Can anyone share experiences...

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

Can anyone share experiences...

can anyone share experiences....

I am 38 and pregnant with my first.  Was diagnosed with GD at 6 weeks (I have thyroid and other endocrine issues and so my endo tested as soon as I told him I was pregnant. Yes, preexisting I guess, but it never showed up before - probably was well managed by my diet and exercise).  I was on insulin (humulin 70/30) by 10 weeks - started on six units in morning and 4 in the evening and went up to 10 in the evening and 4 in the morning in the first few weeks of adjusting.  

Anyway, I was able to keep levels stable and within target (<95 fasting, <120 2 hrs post eating) up until about 2 weeks ago.  Am now 31 weeks.  My endo has asked me to increase twice in the past 2 weeks (now up to 14+4) and still having difficulty staying on target, unless I skip the carbs altogether (seem to be ok with moderate amounts of fruit, but not ok with grain based / starchy foods at all).

Is this likely to continue to get worse over the next weeks until baby comes?  Is it ok to skip the carbs now to keep the BS under control (I can get plenty of veges, protein, and some fruit - assuming this is still good nutrition...)...

Hopefully this will be back under control with diet and exercise alone after baby comes.   But if not, and I'm breastfeeding (I fully intend to), is it normal to continue insulin or go onto oral meds?

Don't skip the "good" carbs below. Eat in moderation but keep monitoring your glucose to see if any raises levels beyond good health. The reduce intake as needed.
    * Fruits
    * Vegetables
    * Beans
    * Legumes
    * Nuts
    * Seeds
    * Whole grain breads
    * Whole grain cereals
    * Whole grain pastas
    * Some dairy products

A rule of thumb: mixing sugar with a complex carbohydrate will slow the absorption of the sugar into the system and help to control an insulin rise and rapid drop following. eg; don't eat fruits by themselves.

From the Mayo Clinic:
"You'll need to adjust your insulin dosage depending on your blood sugar level, what you eat, whether you're vomiting and various other factors. Your stage of pregnancy matters, too. During the last three months of pregnancy, hormones made by the placenta to help the baby grow can block the effect of insulin in your body. As a result, you may need significantly more insulin than usual."

Thanks very much. Dot.Calm.
You're welcome. Wishing you a healthy happy baby.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
Paxiled commented on Soy products may decr...
melimeli "dh" is being an ass again,... Comment
melimeli commented on veronica0808's status