Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Chronic Yeast Infection?

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

Chronic Yeast Infection?

I am a 29 year old married woman.  I am diabetic and take Janumet 2x a day.  I take birth control loestrin Fe.  My husband and I have sex about 5-7 times a week.  

I have vaginal irritation and mild itching.  It typically would arrive a few days after my period or a few days before.  I did some research and all 3 of the mentioned above (diabetic, use of birth control and frequent sex) all could lead to yeast infections.  So I bought over the counter remedies.  Each time they worked... but they stopped and I went to my gyno.  He prescribed me an oral pill to take once then again 3 days later along with a cream for immediate relief.  There hasn't been any discharge like I hear there is supossed to be with yeast infections, but he seemed to think that's probably what it was.  

After taking the oral pill I didn't have symptoms for several months.  I figured the over the counter stuff just wasn't strong enough to fully get rid of it and the pill did the trick.  However, it came back and I refilled the prescription and used the cream again, but this time it was only minor relief.  It has been coming and going now for a few weeks mildly.  

Is this a yeast infection or should I go back and talk with my dr. again?  

PS.  I have been off the birth control for 3 weeks due to needing to have some blood work done checking some hormone levels.  My husband and I have had sex a few times with a condom and it irritates it more.  Oh, and he is healthy with no signs of infections or STD's.
anyone else with diabetes and chronic yeast infections? Does that sound like what has been happening with me.  Since I first posted this, I have not had any problem, but I am sure it will come back again....
The yeast infections usually return more frequently when your blood sugar is high, so keeping your blood sugar under good control is the best way of preventing them.  
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
50-Year Cover-Up
4 hrs ago by gymdandee
melimeli commented on veronica0808's status
May 28
melimeli commented on Belle313's status
May 27