Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Coerce me to take birth control?

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

Coerce me to take birth control?

Can a doctor refuse to prescribe medication based on the patient not wanting to take birth control? I'm being told I need to take a cholesterol lowering drug in addition to my metformin, BUT she won't prescribe it unless I'll take the pill, get an IUD, get my tubes tied or have the Essure procedure. I'm 44 years old and have had multiple miscarriages (all planned and tried for pregnancies) Being diabetic and currently waiting to have a biopsy on a thyroid nodule, the LAST thing I would even remotely consider is getting pregnant. But how my husband and I chose to avoid pregnancy is a personal decision and I'm sick of being pressured. We have one child and we are done. I understand why I shouldn't get pregnant while taking these meds and will NOT get pregnant but how I chose to do that should be up to me shouldn't it?

Is it ok for my doctor to try to coerce me by withholding medication she says I need?
If you don't think your doctor is giving you straight answers you have the right to seek a second opinion from another doctor.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight