Coffee before testing
Just wondering if drinking black coffee before testing effects the results?  My Dr. called me in because my sugar was elivated.  He said it was most likely from drinking black coffee before the blood was drawn.  I remember my ex was told he could have black coffee before the blood was drawn years ago.  Have they changed their view on this?
NO coffee prior to lab tests. Caffeine can skewer your test results. If test/s call for fasting that means no food or colored liquids for 8-10 hours prior to the blood draw. Plain water is OK. Been this way for many years.
Thank you so much.  I will test it in  the morning before my coffee and see what it is.
You're welcome. Let us know if we can help you down the line.
Checked it again this morning without the coffee and it is 110.....so looks like the Dr. was right although the coffee did effect it.  I have gained a lot of weight since November due to hypothyroid and nodules on my thyroid.  I just had a biopsy done on that, but it wasn't enough cells to determine anything.  I am scheduled to go back to the Endo Wednesday to see where we go next on the thyroid issue and I will give him the results on my readings.  I am hoping when I get this weight off that I have gained  it will resolve the sugar issue too.
Yep, weight loss has helped many folks get their blood sugars back to a normal level. Make the necessary lifestyle changes now by eating a diabetic diet, lose the weight, and exercise 30-60 minutes a day. Go for a walk before winter sets in. Walking helps lower blood sugars.
The exercise is the part I am most worried about.  I have spinal stenosis and a previous surgery with rods.  I have so much damage in my spine they won't even talk to me about doing another surgery because it is so risky.  I can walk very little because of the severe pain...My husband is diabetic and I have seen the difference in his sugar when he exercises.
Can you do seated upper body exercises?
Coffee definitely raises blood sugar.  I just tested mine this morning and it was a whopping 191.