Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Dawn syndrome in diabetes

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

Dawn syndrome in diabetes

I have been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 for almost three years.  I have lost 50 pounds in the past year (much more to go), but have been diet-controlled on no meds for a year.  My sugars have always been higher in the morning (fasting) than any other time of day, but lately these fasting BS are even higher.  I have been reading about dawn syndrome on the "net" and think that might be what is going on.  However, I have not come across much in the way of specific management plans.  Anyone else have this problem?  Can you give me some ideas for control?  Do I need to give in and go back on metformin?  Any ideas would be appreciated.
Dawn Phenomenon (DP) can be a real problem for type 2 diabetics. In terms of management some people say a small snack at night before bed helps and some say the opposite, that you shouldn't eat after dinner. You will just have to experiment to see what works for you. You don't say what your fasting blood sugars are but if they are consistently high, yes, you might want to consider medication. Diabetes is, unfortunately, a progressive illness. Congratulations on your weight loss and keep up the good work! Send me a private message if you want a couple websites with many more people living with diabetes where you can get more tips on DP. (sorry I'm a type 1 and don't experience it myself).
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
Paxiled commented on T Spine Dumbbell Twis...
41 mins ago
Paxiled commented on Israel Proves the Des...
48 mins ago
Israel Proves the Desalination Era ...
16 hrs ago by gymdandee