Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Diabetes 2 Weak and Shaky

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Diabetes 2 Weak and Shaky

Hello,  I just turned 60 and very recently diagnosed with diabetes.  Not sure yet whether it's 1 or 2.  Seems to follow the line of 2 for right now.  This past week I have been extremely weak and shaky.  Almost as if my nerves are jumping.  I did have one day where my level hit 304 in the AM but now stay way under 190.  In fact, right now my level is 98 and I'm still incredibly weak.  Do you have any idea as to what can be causing this?
You are experiencing extremely high blood sugars and then coming back down to normal levels. This is going to make you feel pretty bad until you stablize. Since you have been used to very high levels, even a 98 will feel like hypoglycemia for awhile.

You don't say what treatment you have been given. I'm also concerned that you say you are not sure yet if it is Type 1 or Type 2. If there is a question you should see an endocrinologist not a regular pcp. The testing for Type includes c-peptide which determines how much insulin you are making;type 1's (or LADAs which you may be) make very little, type 2's make a normal or excessive amount. The determining test though is Antibody testing as type 1's produce antibodies and type 2's do not. I was myself misdiagnosed as type 2 at age 58 and am in fact LADA. Some of the clues that led me to recognize this: I lost a lot of weight before and after diagnosis, I have another autoimmune condition (thyroid), I only managed on oral meds for a little over a year (you aren't there yet obviously) and my c-peptide was very low.

I recommend the book Blood Sugar 101 which you can access online or buy by Jennie Ruhl.
Have you had diabetic teaching? diet and exercise seem to be what works. too high or too low levels affect how you feel. are your medications working for you or do they need adjusted? See your DR. on a regular basis for monitoring. Good Luck. Maritime Fox
Thank you both so much for your help.  It means a lot to me.  I'm in the process of more doctors and have an appointment with the dietician.  I also found out that I have a middle ear infection which really keeps making me dizzy and shaky.  It's never one problem, always two.  LOL.  

Zoelula, I am definitely going to buy Blood Sugar 101.

Again, thank you so much.

Love
I have the same symptoms as you this same week, I thought I had the flu till I found out I have high blood sugars too, weird huh? I was 268 when I found out, I am so very depressed about all this, its all a learning thing I think. what can we drink besides water?
You are right, Cat, there is a lot to learn about Type 2 diabetes. There are many many things you can eat and drink. Besides water you can drink the many kinds of sugar-free drinks, coffee, tea, even wine. The key is to find things you enjoy eating that are lower carb. Think of it as a challenge! Send me a PM if you want the name of a website with a lot more diabetics of both types and a separate forum on food.