Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Diabetes and disability payments

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Diabetes and disability payments

I have diabetes 2, have had it for over 10 years. Blood sugar is currently not under control. I also have neuropathy in both my feet. It is hard to walk, stand and I lose my balance a lot. I also have arthritus in my legs and have to have my knee replaced. Meanwhile, I cannot work and need some sort of income. Does anyone know if having diabetes or neuropathy qualifies yu for social security disability? I am 60 years old and have worked my entire life.
Diabetes does not qualify you for disability income.  Not being able to work does.

Why is your diabetes out of control?  unless YOU control it your problems will get worse.  

Your diabetic, that means your pancreas no longer controls your Blood Sugar Levels BG, So…You need to control your BG.

It can be done
your TOOLS

Pills and or insulin
exercise
Food

Read the Nutrition labels on food packages.
you are interested in the TOTAL Carbohydrates.

Food
All foods with carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BG  
especially fast acting carbs are
almost anything white. White bread, potato, rice, sugar, pasta, corn (corn meal, corn flower, corn chips tacos  …)
AND HFCT High Fructose corn syrup
eating a bowl of mashed potato is worse for your BG than eating bowl of sugar.  Your body metabolizes potato faster than sugar  

Protein, fiber and fat
slows down the rise of BG.

meds (pills and insulin)
lower BS

exercise
lowers BSL

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

To learn HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS YOU… test you BG before you eat (gives ou a baseline on BG), test 1 hour after you eat (this is usely the highest your BG goes from eating), this gives you your spike BG for the food.  Test 2 hours after you eat your BG should be going down.  test before exercise test after exercise.

Everybody is affected differently by carbs and by different foods.  So you need to test to find out how You react to different foods, this is called “eating to your meter"… do it.

When you test use the side of your finger tip, much less pain

Again
Carbs raise BG...  pasta,rice, potato, bread,  most fruits all have high carbs.