Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Diabetes and leg cramps

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

Diabetes and leg cramps

Hi,  I am having a problem with night time leg cramps.  Its not just my calf muscle, but my ankle and tops of my feet too.  How are leg cramps and diabetes associated?  I am a diabetic, but have been controlling my BS levels pretty well.  At diagnosis my A1C was 11.5 and at my last check up I had it down to 5.9.  (although it might not be quite that good at my next check up, I know it is nowhere near that high of a reading)  Any suggestions on relief from the leg cramps?
Have you had low back problems before? If yes, get an MRI to see if you have a bulging lumbar disk pressing against a sciatic nerve. Neuropathy is another cause. An A1c of 11.5 may have caused nerve damage. Ask to see a Neurologist who can test for nerve damage.

If you take insulin, insulin can cause low levels of potassium, calcium, magnesium, and sodium which in turn cause muscle cramps. A simple blood test can rules these out.

Thanks for commenting......but, I don't have lower back issues, and I'm not insulin dependent.  I've been diagnosed since last Nov. and my last 2 check ups my A1C was back down to 5.9.  I'm controlling the diabetes fairly well, and the cramps just started a couple of days ago.  No problem until then.  When I was researching night time leg cramps, there was repeated inferences to diabetes.  I was wondering what the connection was.
Night leg cramps may have other identifiable causes besides diabetes. I suggest posting on the Ask A Doctor Neurology forum to inquire about muscle diseases and types of testing performed for night leg cramps.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
melimeli commented on mhv's status
Apr 29
melimeli commented on Belle313's status
Apr 29
melimeli Thank the Lord for Fridays! Comment
Apr 29