Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Diabetes and meds
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Diabetes and meds

Does anyone know if the medicine Pravastatin (for high cholesterol) can cause your sugar to go up? I had quit taking it for about 2 weeks and my sugar which is usually high came down to 90-120, when I started taking it again my sugar went back up to 180-230.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
141598_tn?1355675363
Nothing indicated here on Pravastatin raising glucose levels.
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/pravastatin-side-effects.html#consumer_Pravastatin

Have you discussed this with your doctor? If you take other drugs and/or supplements check with your pharmacist regarding drug interactions.
Blank
I am also having higher blood sugars since i have been put on pravastatin. I have been on it now for about 2 months. I take 10 mg. at night
Blank
231441_tn?1333896366
Hello,

Statin drugs are known to have a side effect of raising blood sugars / inducing diabetes.  They also have many other side effects.  If you do take them, please make sure you also take a CoQ10 supplement, as they deplete your body's CoQ10 (which is critical for cardiac health).

It would be better if you can manage your cholesterol though dietary measures.  Against what one would think as common sense a low carb diet (high fat, moderate protein), along with regular and intense exercise, can effectively reduce cholesterol. A regular glass of red wine (remember moderation) may also help.

Fats should be natural sources under such a diet (ie. olive oil, coconut oils, cold pressed nut oils, unprocessed dairy), and avoid transfats (manmade and processed fats), strictly limit fructose from all sources (particularly high fructose corn syrup - but also limit fruits).  Carbs should come from plenty of non-starchy vegetables.  Avoid processed foods.

Hope this can help.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Weight Tracker
Track your weight