Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Diabetes symptoms, normal blood sugar

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Diabetes symptoms, normal blood sugar

I'm 28 years old, male, not overweight, exercise religiously, blood pressure normal, cholesterol levels good, etc. Over the last few months, I've been having some of the classic warning signs of diabetes - very frequent urination, somewhat increased thirst, extreme fatigue that no amount of sleep or exercise seems to relieve - but the blood glucose tests are coming back normal. Any idea what might be going on here? As an added twist, I'm currently in a 3rd world country where the standard of medical care is fairly low, so any advice is appreciated.
What is your blood sugar and did you test it before eating anything in the morning or did you test it soon after eating (like 1 or 2 or 3 hours after eating)?
On the fatigue and thirst, some other things to check?

1.  Check A1C.  This gives an average blood sugar over the past 3 months.  If this is normal your problem is not likely to be diabetes.

2.  Have a urinalysis.  Check there's no chronic Urinary tract infection.  You could also get kidney function tested (this is creatinine, and BUN).

3.  Get your thyroid checked.  At least TSH and FT4 (FT3 as well if it's available).

What country are you in?  At least I've given you some other ideas to think about.
To answer your question, so far there have been two tests. One was random, about five hours after the last time I ate, and it was 94.

The other was a proper fasting test, and it came out 77. I haven't done the two-hours-post-meal one yet.
Thanks for the suggestions. I already got my thyroid checked (with my particular family history, it was the first thing they thought of when I said I was tired), and it's all normal.

Thanks for the other thoughts, seriously.
Another question.  When you say you have frequent urination, do you mean you urinate excessive amounts of urine each time or you just need to make frequent trips to the bathroom, maybe only urinating smaller amounts each time?

Your blood sugars sound pretty good to me.  Blood sugar in the 80's is perfect - so you were in the 70's and low 90's - it doesn't scream diabetes.  And you said you are "somewhat thirsty".  

Another question:  How long have you been in this country?  And are you used to the temperatures there?  I'm wondering if it's hotter than you are used to and it makes you drink more and urinate more.  And if the temperature is fairly hot all the time, this can slow you down and make you tired constantly.  I've read about missionaries to these countries saying how they were full of energy when they first got there, but after awhile, the heat slowed them down and they couldn't accomplish as much as they had hoped.

I'm just trying to cover all possibilities.  Other than that, I think I would follow Super_Sally888's suggestions.  I hope someone is able to help you!
The two tests you had so far are normal.  But that is not enough to know that things are truly ok.  Get the A1c tested.

If you want, you can also buy a home blood glucose test monitor.  They are not terribly expensive.... and some strips and test yourself.  

What were the actual thyroid test results?  (and the reference range).  Sometimes they say 'normal' but the results are not really normal.  Bottom or top of the range can be abnormal, particularly if you have symptoms.
To follow up some, I got one of those blood sugar monitors (they're nice and cheap here), and the numbers still look good to me: 78 fasting, 93 one hour after a (relatively carb-heavy) meal. Still think it's worthwhile to bother the doctor about A1C?

The thyroid test results were: T3: 119.6 (range 80-200); T4: 7.0 (range 5.1-14.1); TSH: 1.8 (range .3-4.2). I don't know how to interpret that, but to my untrained eye, that doesn't look like the bottom or top of the range.

I guess I should go for urinalysis as well, but I don't have a lot of what I'm told are the obvious UTI symptoms: pain when urinating, and urgency. What I'm getting more like high frequency, with a LOT of urine being produced relative to how much I drink. So to answer your question, meniere, it's excessive amounts, and not frequent trips with smaller amounts.

I don't think it's the climate, either. It's relatively hot and dry here, but I've been to this climate before for extended periods, and nothing like this has ever happened.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and support on this. The constant urinating is disruptive, the exhaustion is really, really getting in the way of my life, and I'm sort of at wit's end here as to what, if anything, I can do about it. Once again, any and all insight/advice is appreciated.
And just out of curiosity I did another blood stick 2 hours after a big, starchy dinner, and it was 105. Which as I understand is still within normal, yes?
Apologize ahead for jumping in on this thread with my 2 cents. From what I have read your glucose levels appear to be within normal ranges, including your Thyroid. Have you had a CBC (Complete Blood Count) with Differential? The CBC includes the following tests;  Hemoglobin, Hematocrit,  Red blood cell (RBC) count,  White blood cell (WBC) count, White blood cell differential count, Platelet count. Usually a CBC is ordered when a patient complains of fatigue or weakness, or has an unknown infection such as UTI (Urinary Tract Infection). Living in 3rd world country the latter is a possibility.
You are not diabetic.  Your thyroid looks great also.   I'm more concerned with your kidneys, not your bladder.  You really need to get someone to check your bloodwork that tells them how your kidneys are functioning, just to make sure nothing serious is going on.  Your kidneys are basically blood filters that keep your blood components in good balance - so I'm wondering why you are producing so much urine compared to what you are taking in.  Your "checks and balances" seem to be off balance for some reason.  Maybe you had a Urinary tract infection and it went to the kidneys or maybe the kidney themselves are having issues or the endocrine (hormone) system is out of whack for some unknown reason.  You definitely need to see a doctor.  Keep the fluid going in.  Keep us posted and see if anyone else has any input.....but get yourself to a doctor ASAP (just in case).  
Another thing to consider is diabetes insipidus (not true diabetes).  Look it up on the internet and mention it when you get to a doctor (just so nothing is overlooked).  Hang in there!