Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Diabetic Stomach issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Diabetic Stomach issues

I have a severe problem with diarrhea. I have Adult Type II Diabetes. I take insulin once a day. A doctor has said I have diabetic enteropathy.  I have had this stomach problem for many years and it seems to be getting worse to the point I can't leave the house for fear of an 'accident'. Is there anyone that could help with this or suggest something that would help with the problem. I am getting desperate.
Have the doctors ever given you a colonoscopy or checked into other bowel problems such as celiac disease or crohn's, etc before chalking it up to diabetic enteropathy?
Do you control your diabetes?  
Yes I had a colonoscopy and everything looked normal. I was told I did not have Crohns or colitis. My A1c is 6.9 and diabetes is controlled. I just need to try and find a fix for this condition so I can go out of the house and restore my life.
Did you get tested for celiac disease?
Not that I know of. Would Celiac disease cause these symptoms? Is there a cure or medicine to help that?
Yes, celiac disease can cause these symptoms.  All you have to do is eat a gluten-free diet (no wheat, barley, rye or oats) and give it about 3 months.  You might get relief within a few days or weeks.  Everyone is different.  You'll have to read up on the diet so you'll know what you can and can't eat.  I can't tell you for sure if this is your problem, but it's definitely worth trying to see if you get relief.  Another possibility is yeast overgrowth in your intestines.  The gluten free diet will help with that but not completely eliminate the problem.  Sometimes, when you start these kinds of diets, the diarrhea might temporarily continue.  So give it time and see how you feel.   I hope this helps!
According to my doctor he said they did test for Celiac disease when they did the colonoscopy and I did not have it. Is there anyone else out there with these same problems? I am at my wits end on what to do. I have tried several medications for diarrhea and it doesn't help. One doctor said it was diabetic enteropathy. What can be done about this? I am a prisoner in my own house. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated greatly.
I'm questioning the information the doctor gave you.  You don't test for celiac disease with a colonoscopy - the doctor has to do an Endoscopy - from the top.  I really think you should go on an Atkins type diet.  Now I see you are diabetic and on insulin once a day. So you'll have to check with your doctor before starting (if you want to give it a try).  I don't know if your doctor will be open to this diet and playing around with your insulin.  The Atkins type diets help circumvent the whole insulin problem.  It helps the body get past the insulin resistance.  And what helps the diabetes, will probably end up helping your intestinal problem heal in time.  Something for you to think about.  I hope you find an answer to your problem somewhere.  But this is what I would do if it were me.  And again, a doctor must help you with your insulin medication as you do this diet.
Good luck!
yes this is a big symptom of celiac disease, mine showed in an endoscopy. I bet you if you start eating gluten free you will get better. also just because it doesn't show the first time doesn't mean you don't have it, it get worse through time where you won't even hold the food down for more than 10 minutes. I actually never had the diahrrea, it was vomiting and feeling like choking. this condition is very common in diabetics.