Diabetes - Type 2 Community
FASTING TIME?

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

FASTING TIME?

The doctor here gave me no guidelines on how long I should be fasting before a blood sugar test.

I've been searching online to get a consistent number of hours, but am seeing everything from 6 hours to 12 hours. Some people say nothing after 9:00 PM, and others say nothing after midnight. I think I ate and drank up until midnight the night before my last test at 8:00 AM, but am not completely sure.
Thanks!
Fasting glucose test are normally performed when the patient has not eaten or has had any colored liquids 10-12 hours prior to the test. If the patient eats and drinks up to 12 midnight, the test period should not begin until after 10am the following day.

But while the fasting test remains an important part of diabetes treatment, its weakness is that it is an indication of your glucose level only at the moment you take the test. A fasting blood sugar doesn't tell you anything about your blood-sugar levels the rest of the time. This is where the Hemoglobin A1c (HgbA1c) test comes in. No fasting is required for this test since it can be administered at any given time.
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight