Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Food Items to be ignored

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Food Items to be ignored

I am suffering from  diabetes.
Yesterday it was confirmed.
Before breakfast:288
After breakfast:397

Please suggest me the food items that i can avoid and also please list what can i eat???

Awaiting for your reply

You nee to be on medication with levels this high. Your target blood sugar level at all times should be less than 140 (damage has been shown to occur when blood sugar levels are 140 and higher).  What medications have you been given?

You need to ask your dr to refer you to a dietician also, as we can only offer general advice here.

To control blood sugar you will need to control the types and amounts of carbohydrate eaten.  Definitely you will need to avoid sugar and sugary and very starchy foods.  All meals should have protein, fat, and some carbs (preferably complex carbs which digest slowly).  

You will also need to control how much you eat, and it will be much better to have small meals and a few healthy snacks.  

Fruit juice, sweetened drinks and sodas should be avoided.  Fruit is good for you, but should be limited to small amounts only. Cakes and candies and processed foods should be very limited.  White breads, rice and pasta should be replaced wtih whole grain versions and again controlloed portions.

Controlling this will be with medication and diet, I'd think.  Exercise will also be very important.  And best if you can at least walk (other exercise like cycling, swimming, aearobics also may be good) for 30 minutes - 1 hour every day (good also if the exercise can be in 2 sessions - morning and afternoon/evening).

This is just a guideline.  Please get assistance to control this.  
thank you very much for your guideline...
You got some great advice from Sally and all I want to add is that all diabetics are different. Some of us can eat something that would shoot the blood sugar of another diabetic through the roof. The key is to "eat to your meter". Using the guidelines above try various foods you like to eat and then test two hours after your meal and see if you are down under 140. (As Sally said it may take some time of starting on and adjusting to medication before you are able to do this). If you spike higher than that after the meal then you need to eliminate those carbs or at least reduce the portion until the numbers look better. Test, test and test some more!
And also to add, time of day can make a difference.  For example I don't tolerate carbs very well at all in the morning and am better of with a protein breakfast.  But I can eat the same carbs later in the day without a problem.

Yes, test and test and adjust and adjust, and test and adjust.

Best wishes.