Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Glucose serum level 103
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Glucose serum level 103

Hi. Iam 64 years old, and had a heart attack 4 years ago. My grandparents had diabetes. I had recent dizzyness (usually at night), and went to my cardiologist about it, nad he took me off one of my blood pressue meds. Dizzyness seems better. They gave me a blood test, and my Glucose Serum came in at 103. It had been 87 about 3 months ago. This latest bloodtest was given to me about an hour after I had a glass of orange juice, and an english muffin with peanut butter. I believe that I had also not fasted before the blood test 3 months ago. I did not know I was having blood work , that's why I had not fasted. Do you think I should have another blood test after fasting ? I'm not sure how much of a difference the juice/muffin could make. I will also ask my GP.

Appreciate our input. Thanks.

Thanks.
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
141598_tn?1355675363
If you're concerned about your glucose level you can purchase a home test meter. Top rated is Johnson & Johnson's Ultra Mini. And, yes, instructions are included on how to use the meter.
Click on the link below then click on Buy to find a store. Approx cost is $20.00 US. http://tinyurl.com/2o55cq
Blank
I understand your concern Ocalarich regarding your glucose.  Mine was always in the 80's in past yr.  This yr it was at 101 & I did fast prior to the bloodwork.  I am not obese,no where near, but do love chocolate so that could be a big problem for me that I have to tackle.  My problem also is that I gave up smoking 8 days ago, and turn more to my chocolate since that time I guess trying to make up for not smoking.
WaveRider, Thanks for the info regarding the test meter.  Type 2 is in my family & do you as a person know if 101 is a figure I need to be concerned with?
Any help would be appreciated.
Blank
141598_tn?1355675363
Ocalarich - If you have time to wait, 6-8 weeks, J&J has a free offer for the Ultra Mini. http://ultraminionetouch.com/ . The Web site, however, runs through servers located in Sweden, Malasia, Turkey, Iran, Jordan, BVI, Iraq, and the USA. There is a questionaire to fill out that asks for your name, birth date, and email address.  To avoid Spam and phishing use an alias name along with a free email address using the alias name. The latter can be obtained by searching under Yahoo mail or Google mail.

Jody - Once you reach 110 you will be considered pre-diabetic so take it easy on the sweets. Good luck on the stop puffing. Its hard but you can do it. By the way, 101 is excellent.
Blank
568322_tn?1370169040

Actually, pre-diabetes is a blood sugar >100.

"Normal blood sugar levels are less than 100 mg/dl.
Pre-diabetes blood sugar levels are between 100 mg/dl and 126 mg/dl. and
Diabetes blood sugar levels are 126 mg/dl and above."

http://metabolicsyndrome.about.com/od/prediabetes/p/PreDiabetes.htm
Blank
141598_tn?1355675363
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Blank
Thanks for the imput from both of you.  I was told that 100 was considered high in today's world & I know I have to somehow stop eating the sugar.  I don't want to die  as my brother did so I just have to come up with a way to stop the sugar in replacement of the nicotine.  I have been walking with weights for a couple miles a day & starting buying things like fresh peaches & things of that nature to try not to buy cookies & ice cream. I am of normal weight but I know that has nothing to do with the whole thing.
But thank you both for your help.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Weight Tracker
Track your weight
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
Paxiled commented on The Dark Side of ...
Sep 17
1236893_tn?1408490528
Blank
Alzheimer's Prevention
Sep 16 by gymdandee
1236893_tn?1408490528
Blank
The Dark Side of 'Healthy'...
Sep 16 by gymdandee
Diabetes - Type 2 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979