Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Has Victoza helped anyone with weight loss?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Viewing 201-245 comments:
My insurance did not approve it for me either but my Dr. was able to show why it would be beneficial for me and my insurance ok'd a 3 month supply and pending my A1C in three months will determine if they will continue to pay.  Ask your Dr. to ak your insurance company if he is able to show just cause would they pay.  Can't hurt trying
I have been on victoza for a week, and only had nausea the first day cause i started early afternoon.  I switched to taking Victoza before bed, and haven't had any issues so far.   Wish have seen a decrease in appetite, but have not weighed myself.   So taking before bed might be something to try for less nausea.  
I hope your doc started you on the low dose, and that you pushed it up "as tolerated".  I went through 2 1/2 weeks of major nausea, headaches, and some dizziness, but all these faded away very gradually....but they did go away.  I started on .6 and have gotten up to 1.2.  Check with your doc to see if you can get samples, also check out www.needymeds.org to see if there is a patient assistance program that might help you.  I wish you all the best.  
Just an FYI - my doc put me on Quinipril "to protect my kidneys" too. Within a month I developed a cough. It was the middle of winter so I just thought I caught a cold.  I got so bad that I couldn't sleep and I was becoming so weak that I was losing control of my bladder every time I coughed!  It's partially my fault because I never read the side effects but I went to the doctor for the cough and he didn't make the connection to the drug either. He finally took me off it 4 months later and the cough was gone within a week!
Hi..I've taken lisinopril for years and have had no side effects. No dry coughs at all.
I have been on the Victoza since March 7th and I haven't had any side affects, it was to control my sugar and for weight loss, I have lost 30lbs since March 7th.

Laurie823407
Started on Victoza 2 weeks ago and have lost 4 lbs already on 0.6 . My food intake has decreased due to loss of appetite . I do find that when I do get hungry I feel some nausea .
Hi I was reading your comment, wanted to know if you get nausea when you don't eat for a couple of hours? Thnx
Streetrod... look at it this way... You have to look at the factor of why your mothers pancreas was destroyed and also know that if Diabetes goes untreated it will destroy your pancreas anyways…
I was on Victoza for about 5 weeks and had been on the full dosage for just 1 week when I developed a rash around the injection area.  Every time I injected myself, a circular rash about 2 inches wide would develop at the injection point.  I looked this up on the Internet ('Victoza rash') and found out I was probably allergic to Victoza.  Victoza was also making me dizzy all of a sudden and I was very, very tired.  Sure enough, when I called my doctor I was told to stop taking it.  Turns out it can kill you if you are allergic to it.  I am heartbroken because the weight loss effect of Victoza is amazing.  I lost 10 pounds in those 5 weeks.  I just started Byetta 1 week ago after being off of Victoza for 2 weeks.  I have gained back 5 pounds, 1 since being on Byetta.  I have read that the weight loss effect of Byetta is very slow.  Boo hoo.  I miss Victoza and envy those of you who can take it.  Good luck!
I love Victoza. I'm up to 1.8 and it has dramatically decreased my appetite.  I rarely feel hungry. It's amazing if I forget to take it and don't realize it I know right away when I get that hunger pain I used to get before I started taking it.  

When I first took it I injected it into my thigh.  It didn't work.  My husband took it too and said to try the stomach. That was the trick. Now I take it in my stomach and it's a wonder drug!
Monster
I have benn on Victiza for about six months now.  I had nausea for the first few weeks then it went away.  I have lost about 40 on it and it has helped my diabeyes to the point I am off all meds except Victoza and Losartan for high blood pressure.  I strongly endorse Vicyoza.  It was a slo weight looss, not some miracle cure.  Wish you luck and hope it works for you.
My Mother was prescribed Victoza in June of 2011 to treat her Type 2 diabetes.  While she was taking this “terrible drug” she did lose a lot of weight.  Unfortunately on June 26, 2012 she was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis.  We were told it would be 7-10 days.  Within 2 weeks of being hospitalized she had to have a tracheotomy and she ended up being hospitalized for 5 months, in 4 different hospitals and in 2 different states (FL & NJ).  During those 5 months, her liver and kidneys failed, she had to be put on hemodialysis, she received countless blood transfusions, and in October she underwent 2 major surgeries within 1 month.  After all she had been through my Mother ended up catching pneumonia on November 1, 2012 and passed away at 56 years "young" on November 10, 2012.  I am convinced that Victoza caused her pancreatitis.  This “terrible drug” should be taken off the market.
I have been on Victoza for a week; and I have felt a little nausea and heart palpitations, how long did you have to wait for the nausea to go away?

I ALSO HAD A COUGH WITH THAT MEDICINE; NOT GOOD WHEN YOU ATART COUGHING IN THE MEDDLE OF THE NIGHT.
I have Type 2 and needed to control my sugar. I am a big eater of carbs and controlling my appetite was a huge struggle so I started taking Prescopodene to curb my appetite. Now maintaining my sugar level is much easier.
Who decided your dose, I took 0.6 for two months then moved upto 1.2. The dose you wre on seems dangerous. As for the alcolhol, I like the occasion drink, but since being on Victoza it seems to make me I'll. So I just don't bother now. I lost 30lbs on his dose my blood sugar was 21 now is down to 8.6. Which I am very happy about.
You said taking in your thigh didn't work??Curious what you meant by didn't work?
I just started taking Victoza this past Monday and so far I have experienced a small amount of nausea(I am on the lowest dose 0.6) and headaches(but those usually come when I have not ate enough I find, and sometimes right after I eat which is weird) but I am on my fourth day now and am starting to slowly feel better symptom wise-I also have experienced Diarrhea I have found that I really have to watch what I eat now-certain foods I don't even want to attempt just the thought makes me go blah lol :)
I have gone from a huge appetite to having to force myself to eat something so that in itself is a miracle for me.
I do have to watch I eat enough because my blood sugars go low so I do test and I am not a Diabetic. My Doctor suggested this drug to help me lose enough weight to make the base criteria for weight loss surgery.
I am totally okay with this because I do have concerns that once you stop taking Victoza that feeling that makes you full which I do not get will come back and I will gain everything back that I  have  lost-so that's where the surgery will come in handy I have to do something or I am am headed for a death sentence for sure so hopefully this combination will work for me
Good luck to everyone taking it :)

I am Type 11 and was started on Victoza 2 weeks ago. don't know what my BM is but definitely below 35 .I inject 1.2 once a day and take 2x500mg Metformin twice daily. Have lost 3/4 lbs and fasting bloods down to 7.3 from 9 and above so very happy. Nausea is now subsiding so hoping for more good things to happen. Injections are painless.
I have been on Victoza for two weeks. My blood sugar was usually 300 and now it is between 100 and 109. In the last two weeks, I have lost 8 pounds which is great for my self- esteem. The only side effects I have had is a slight headache and some stomach cramping when I've ate too much. I feel a little nausea sometimes but not often and it doesn't last long.
I have been on Victoza 8 weeks..lost 17 lbs..BS are in low 100 now. Just now started 1.8 dose per my doctor. I also had to battle for a few days the nausea but I have no appetite and to see my numbers drop is amazing bc I was running in the 200's.
Just to clarify your comment on other meds to help control blood pressure...Accuretic and Lotensin are antihypertensives.  However, Zocor and Lipitor are not; they are lipid-lowering medications.  
I have just been reading the reviews and notice you are on the same medication as myself, do you also take Metformin?
I have just been given the package for Victoza (liraglutide) to read through and wanted to read as many reviews as possible to make sure I am doing the right thing,  apparently there must be no consumption of Alcohol as this can cause pancreatis (pancreatitis) or liver problems.
I just started victoza yesterday  and last nite I was nauseous and my heart was beating fast and frequent urination, I took this morning and have been in bed sick with nausea and weakness for last 5 hours and tried to eat a sandwich and that just made it worse...how long will this last?
Hi all, just started taking Vicotoza within last four weeks and interesting to read every ones comments. I am 61 and have type II Diabetes controlled with Metformin and Gliclazide. My Blood Sugar rose to an incredible 24 and I was feeling terrible so recommended I went on to Victoza and now around 5.4. Have not had any real Nausea problems but slight constipation and feeling very very tired. Reading through comments I have not noticed any one with the tiredness sympton. It may be because I lost 14lbs in just two weeks and now 16lbs....perhaps to quick ?

Good Luck to all taking this remedy.........Derek G
Taking Victoza for 3 weeks now. I've had no real side effects. I looked at almost all comments and came to the conclusion this is NOT for long term use. I will take this no longer than 6 months. Headaches most likely come from not eating. I eat a handful of nuts, a piece of fruit, or half a sandwich etc every 4 hours. Have lost a total of 30lbs. I also took this opportunity to change my eating habits. No white refined flour, sugar, soda, candy, fast foods.  Final thoughts use common sense when using these meds and take responsibility for your health. If you are not sure about a diagnosis seek a 2nd, 3rd and even 4th opinion. Not all trials are done on animals! And finally when taking a new med please remember that most medical professionals receive a kick back for writing the script.
Wow could give you pancreatitis! My dad died from that and suffered miserably for 17 years. This is the most painful disease you can "live" with.  Please think long and hard about this medicine.  I just heard the commercial and was saddened that the medical community would give us a drug that causes this horrific disease.  Lost some faith in human goodness with this.
I have been on Victoza for 3 months I changed my eating habits. I am limited to exercise because I am oxygen dependant caused from sarcoidosis. I have type 2 diabetes my blood sugars would be so high I couldn't get I reading on my meter that was due to the prednisone. I take levemere twice a day victoza once a day. I havr lost 40lbs I don't have any side affects no problems with kidneys so I give my approval.
I have just been placed on Victoza and my blood sugars are now back where they belong.  I chose it because of my blood sugars but if I lose weight, that will definitely be a plus. I too am a Christian and I do recognize that God can heal completely but I also feel He sends others to provide healing.  I believe this because of several instances where my healing comes out more complete and much faster than others.  For example, I prayed for healing over prostate cancer and firmly believe it was gone.  Imagine my surprise to go for my last test before surgery to find it was still there.  I opted to go through the surgery.  They found more cancer than first expected.  My recovery was only one day because I felt no pain.  When I returned to the doctor, he was amazed that my PSA was not detectable for an residual cancer which is very, very rare.  I remain that way today.  The Lord has also responded to prayer without intervention.  PTL.
I think that it is very important for everyone to have a really good doctor, that investigates everything in your life before prescribing medication.  I have type 2 diabetes and am overweight.  When I was diagnosed, I was given metformin and told to change my eating habits and check my blood sugar.  I never went to the nutritionist, didnt faithfully check my blood sugar, and didnt always take my metformin.  I couldnt afford the test strips and the copays to see all these different doctors were killing my wallet. When I saw my new doctor, I was sincerely trying to make better choices, get some good medical advice and try to find a doctor that was hands on. I was doing better about taking my meds, watching what I was eating and have lost 22 pounds since June.  At a recent visit, my doctor wanted me to take Victoza and started me out on 1.2 and I am sicker than a dog, and seem to have gotten "all" of the side effects.  I cant afford this medication, but he gave me samples, and I went on line to get a coupon for 150.00 off, but I just dont like how this medication feels.  He did not explain to me any of the possibilities that could happen, had a medical assistant come in and show me how to use it.  I dont want to develop pancreatitis, I dont like being nauseated and have back pain, and cough etc.  I guess I feel that there must be something else out there that could better help with my diabetes control.  I feel sad that my doctor doesnt take the time to educate me, to really take a personal interest and just writes prescriptions.  I want to lose weight, but not this way, and I am 53 and want to live a long life not plagued with other health issues caused by this medication.  My daughter is very upset that I am taking it, my husband is supportive but doesnt like seeing me ill.  I just dont feel that I was educated enough about this to just jump in and spend $333.00 for two pens and no advise from my doctor. I know that I am rambling, but after 7 days of laying around, feeling sick, not being able to eat and go to work I have decided to just stop taking it.  I am going to try to really watch what I eat, take my metformin and other medications and get back to life.  I have not even received a follow up call from my doctor asking how I was doing on the new medication which would have been nice.  If anyone knows of a doctor in the Columbus, GA area that is a "hands on" doctor that really really cares and doesnt rush you in and out please let me know.  I have been seeing this doctor since June and he has only touched me once by poking me on my hip, and he checks the pulses in my feet.  Whatever happened to doctors that come in and practice holistic medicine, treating mind, body and soul?  I dont want to die, I want to live a full life, and right now because of Victoza I feel like an invalid.  I may be one of the few that gets "all" of the side effects, but please please make sure that you are taking it for the "right" reasons, not just to lose weight.  Being skinny but having pancreatitis is not a chance that I am willing to take.  I will lose the weight, but I am going to do it naturally and I will find a doctor that will really help me.  I heard a rumor in my community that there are a few doctors that are prescribing to people just for weight loss, the patients are not diabetic at all.  All someone needs is a script and the money to pay for it.  Fat people are desperately seeking an easy way to lose weight and unfortunately, there are people who will pay to use this diabetic drug to do it.  I would appreciate any feedback, or doctors names.  thank you.  
hi.. i just started Victoza 3 days ago....and I was told very clearly to start on 0.6ml a day..>NOT 1.2ml...    and then after a week, try to go to 1.2ml and if it did not work, put it back to /0.6ml.   I have a fantastic doctor.  I am from Canada.  I tried Byotta a year ago and it did not do much.  My body is definitely feeling a bit nauseated but I have been reading tons of comments in the last two days and the nausea happens in most and then subsides.  Stay away from white carbs and fatty things...it will upset you more.  I hope you are able to try it with a lower dose.  take care
I have just started on Victoza but am not a diabetic yet. I say yet because my recent labs are indicating I may be pre-diabetic. I have put on a huge amount of weight this year and the dr is concerned said he has good results to help curb appetite with this drug.
The shock to me is how unwell I have felt since begining this drug, I am so nauseous I cant get up! I am normally so healthy (even being overweight)
I have been taking it for 48 hours and I feel horrible. I cant wait for it to settle
I certainly agree.  I believe it caused my seriously huge tumor of my kidney.  Tumor was stage 3cancer.  It warns you that it can cause cancer of the thyroid.  But my thyroid is dead and I believe Victoza affected the cells and attached to kidney.  I am still recovering from that radical left Nephrectomy.  Victoza should be taken off the market!!!
I am now on day 5 and I have never been so ill in all my life! No wonder you lose weight you can eat because of how ill you feel! I have reflux which causes me to gag-it burns my throat. I feel I have a low grade fever this morning. I havent had a full nights sleep since tuesday as I am woken up with the acid problem
How long should I give it?
If you look at the new PI on Victoza, the FDA is backing up the drug stating there is no correlation between pancreatitis or pancreatic cancer and Victoza. Notice it's no longer on the T.V. as a "bad drug"..? That's because there are no studies proving this to be true. There may be underlying problems with every patient who developed these issues while on Victoza but it's not because they used Victoza. Do a little research..
I have been taken Victoza for 2 days now with no concerns. My doctor told me about the drug on one visit (she gave no names) and the benefits.  She also informed me of the side effects.  She had labs to test my kidneys, liver, and pancreas.  Based on the results and seeing that I have no underlying conditions, she wrote out a prescription. She also stated that none of her patients have had pancreatitis or pancreatic cancer.  I am guessing because she orders lab work every so often to check the health of these organs.
I have been taken Victoza for 2 days now. My doctor told me about the drug (she gave no names) and the benefits.  She also informed me of the side effects.  Prior to her prescribing the medication, she had labs to test my kidneys, liver, and pancreas.  Based on the results and seeing that I have no underlying conditions, she wrote out a prescription. She also stated that none of her patients have had pancreatitis or pancreatic cancer.  I am guessing because she orders lab work every so often.
Try taking .6ml first. That is what my doctor told me. She told me to stay on .6ml until I see her in 4 weeks.  My doctor is very hands on.  Having blood work and labs done prior to her prescribing me the medication to check the health and functions of my pancreas, liver and kidney.  With this medicine, you also have to change your eating habits.  Before she prescribed the meds, for 3 weeks I had to follow this food plan.  However, this is my new doctor.  My regular PCP did nothing but up my metformin after ever A1C test and told me to lose weight. When I asked for a plan, she told me to find one online.  Hence to say, I took myself off of 1500 mg a day metformin and got a new doctor. Some doctors really *****. You are paying for your insurance so don't be afraid to move around. PCP are just that. Find someone who specializes in Diabetes & Weigh Loss.
What time did you take it?

I just started taking Victoza 3 days ago @ 0.06.  I feel a little nausea and a bit off balance but, wow what a headache.  Feels like a flu coming on.  I am obese and have Type 11 diabetes.  I am willing to give Victoza a chance and put up with the side effects because my weight and numbers are scaring me.  I should have woken up a long long time ago. That being said, I am now under the care of a very hands on endocrinologist and nutritionist. Together I am hoping to take my life back once and for all.  I would love to hear about some weight loss success.  Good luck to all of us!
I have only started two days ago. I was on metformin since May. I have had diarrhea from this every day. One month on 2000. I'm compromised, I lost my large colon, it perforated 2007.  I had trouble being reconnected until 2009, had 4 operations in NY, fifth in Ohio at the Cleveland Clinic, they were able to reconnect me.  I'm sure not having all of my parts has lots to do with my type 2 and how I digest my food. Any way having diarrhea was not allowing me to leave home and I work part time. I have not had metformin since Thurday evening, and no diarrhea. Thank god. I have lost weight, having diarrhea that long will make anyone lose weight. I had no energy. I'm so hoping this works for me. I am on 0.6 for a week. Then to 1.2 for 2 months. I have a wonderful lady doctor, young, I'm 65, she told me all about it, the three nurses came in and told me how to use it, let me stick myself. It is painless. Sticking my finger hurts worse.  This is a serious illness and I'm taking every step to protect myself. Wishing everyone taking this good luck. No nausea yet.
the instructions that came with my vitoza said to stay on lowest setting for
1 week the ask dr if you can go up then go 1 week on middle ask dr then go
to high setting
I have used Victoza for 7-8 months and have seen no ill effects it is great at helping me control my blood sugar levels. I consider it a miracle drug. I have lost some weight but I needed to I swear by it.
I was on 2500 day of medformin till I had kidney stones 3 times in 6 months. They did an ultra sound and said both kindness were full of stones. I have been off medformin for over a year and no more kidney trouble. My dr said it wasn't the medicine but rather dehydration. Well then the medformin causes the dehydration. I have said for years that if I could control cravings I could get the diabetics under control. My new dr actually listened and put me on phentermine to curb appetite and in 9 days I Went from 300 and 400 readings to 98-118. My last A1c was 12. After these nine days I had an appt with my endocronologist who put me on Victoza.  Yesterday was my second day and I'm done. No side effects (I think I went thru them with the other medicine last week.). After reading these comments and a lot of articles on Victoza it's not worth the risk for me. I'm not taking anything that threatens my kidneys further. Plus, my numbers already came into range with the other appetite suppressant the dry mouth with both plus insulin and glimmer pride is too much. If you are someone who has already impacted your kidneys with medication just know there are other suppressants that can help without the risk.
I happened to find this site, and just wanted to say im so sorry for your loss. I can not imagine what you have gone through. I was on victoza for a little over a year. It made me sick more often than not. I started to have what I though might be gall bladder attacks, but my scans would come out negative. I never had blood work or went to the hospital because I have delt with pain often. I would cry  and scream in pain for hours. My regular doctor took me off victoza after I called her .  I should have known I was having pancreatitis attacks because I work in the medical field. I have recovered, and now realize how sick this drug was making me!  It is a evil drug you are right! If I can save people from suffering or worse what happened to your mom I will talk to them.  I'm am just a little younger than your mom was. Put your moms story out there.
I have been taking victoza for several months. I have exhaustion from it.  I quit taking it for a week to see if i felt better.  After a few days, I'm feeling like my old self.  I was so lethargic and didn't care if I did anything.  Gained weight because of that.  And my blood sugar was over 200.  I wish I didn't feel so very tired all the time.  
Viewing 201-245 comments: