Has Victoza helped anyone with weight loss?
I have Type 2 Diabetes and was put on Victoza yesterday, my doctor wants me to take this for weight loss.  I would just like to know if anyone has lost weight or has had any side effects while taking this medication.  I was on Byetta but the nausea never stopped and I felt bad all of the time.  I took my first dose this morning of Victoza and so far there has been no nausea--I just hope it lasts.  Any comments on this medication would greatly be appreciated.  

Also---my doctor has put me on lisinopril even though I don't have high blood pressure, he said this is a ACE inhibitor and will protect my kidneys.  I have read BAD reviews on this medicine and I'm not sure what to do.  I told my doctor yesterday that I was leery about taking this, but he seems to think this is a good medication to take.  
Hi - Are you following a special diet? That weight loss sounds awesome. I started Victoza this week and I've had no side effects. I'm on the lowest dose. What dose are you on? I'm really hoping this drug can change my life.
Are you following a special diet and exercise routine? I just started Victoza this week and I'm on the lowest dose. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to change my life.
I've been on Victoza for just over two years now.  The first time I took it was Halloween night 2012.  I was told to start with .6 and in a week or so go to 1.2.  Side effects were clearly explained, although I still read a bunch online.

That first night, an hour after injecting we went trick or treating.  I had to leave part way out, got the car, drove home and spent the next two miserable hours in the washroom.  

I didn't inject the next day, but the morning of day 3 I resumed.  Still had some issues, but they weren't as bad.  End of the week I was able to move the dose up to 1.2 which is where I have been at since.

I had lost about 30-40 pounds over the year previous to starting but had plateaued.  Over the next 6 months or so I lost another 10.  This is without exercise and only moderate diet change. The big difference was appetite reduction and if I did slip and gorge on a meal, my system wasn't happy.  Both a result of the Victoza.

I have, due to stress and other issues, been eating poorly over the last several months.  I have resolved to get my diet and my numbers under control again and am considering talking to my doctor about bumping to 1.8 until I do.  

One thing to add, after I started victoza, roughly three or so weeks later, my work had a function for someone that was leaving.  It had been stressed to me not to drink when put on the medication, and I wasn't going to as I am not much of a drinker, but there was a round of pints bought to do a toast.  
I thought a sip wouldn't matter, but that was the last thing I remember that night. I weighed around 250 at the time and I had a mildly wild youth, working in bars, playing rugby, and quite often drinking.  But I have never been the guy who goes out every other night and drinks until they black out or lose control, however that night was the worst of my life.

I have since learned how and what to drink on those rare occasions but for anyone in their first month or two of taking victoza, be aware that your body is changing and your tolerances may not be what they were.  But as most here know, drinking with Victoza is a bad idea anyway.

I should mention, several years prior to being diagnosed with type II I had thyroid cancer and have had it fully removed.  I am on synthroid and recently have also been place on a statin drug for my cholesterol.  I've seen no unusual effects from this combination of meds.
I am a Type 2 diabetic on oral medication for 18 years (since I was 25) and insulin for 14 years.  I was of normal BMI at the time.  Diabetes is an unfortunate genetic inheritance in my family.  Over the years and a baby later, I am overweight.  I have been on Victoza for just over 4 weeks now and titrated up from 0.6 to 1.2 to 1.8 after 8 days on each level.  My endocrinologist recommended to increase the dose after a week, but to wait if the side effects were hard to handle.  The only side effect I initially experienced was severe nausea and hypos.  From about week 2, I noticed that the slowing down of digestion resulted in constipation and irregular bowel movements.  In the past 1.5 weeks, I have experiencing reflux and acid indigestion.  It got terrible a few nights, to the extent I ended up throwing up.  I now realise that eating earlier in the evening, drinking warm water before and after meals and cutting down on refined carbs makes these episodes less likely to happen.  I am now also trying to drink more water during the day.  The most incredible effect so far has been the stabilisation of my sugar levels and my decreased needs for insulin.  Before Vitoza, my HbA1C was 8.9 with quite a wide variance.  It is now 6.7 with smaller a variance.  My total insulin needs have halved from 80 mmols per day.  I am now ready to begin intensive gymming - something I put off because I was having too many lows. I am hoping that the more intensive exercise will reduce my insulin needs further - hopefully altogether.  From a dietary perspective, I have always eaten a low GI diet.  What I have noticed is that I am hardly ever hungry these days and my portion sizes have dropped.  I actually cannot finish my now smaller plate of food and previously when I would have eaten the rest anyway to prevent wasting, I just can't now.  I haven't checked my weight (deliberately) because for me the main goal was to stabilise my sugar levels but I will be hitting the gym tomorrow and will check then. My body shape seems to have changed a little and I have been swimming and walking and am generally very active.  All in all, I am hopeful that the 3 month trial I am on will be successful to the point of not needing insulin any more.  The costs are prohibitive and medical aids do not cover Victoza as well as insulin.  If I can get off the insulin altogether, I will motivate to my medical aid to cover the Victoza.  My friend who started Victoza 3 weeks before I did has totally gotten off insulin after a week on the 1.8 dose and has lost 7 kg. She was on 36 mmols per day when she started it. I have 8 weeks to go on the trial.  I am hopeful.  
Hi All - I've been on Victoza (combined with Metformin) for about 4 months now.  I've lost a total of 30 lbs which is super exciting, but about a month and a half after starting Victoza, I had to have my gallbladder removed - gallstones.  I do have a STRONG family history of gallbladder disease, so I didn't think much of it, however I'm starting to read up on the affects that Victoza has had on the gallbladder and pancreas and wanted to know if anyone has had gallbladder/pancreas issues while on the drug.  I am still having issues with the same kind of pain I had before the surgery, and I'm throwing up bile at least once a week.  Anyone had the same kind of issues?  Thanks!
Victoza FORCES the pancreas to make insulin,  Many think that forcing an already over worked pancreas to make more insulin helps to wear it out sooner.

If your going to take an injection why not just inject insulin?  It will give your pancreas a small rest as it will not HAVE to make as much insulin.
nice tips thanks to this article. really good things. how to lose weight
I am a 51 year old woman and I was put on Victoza June 16, 2014 when I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic. I was weighing 238 lbs, now I'm at 187 lbs Losing 49 lbs with Victoza and walking. It works!!  I feel good, I eat better and I feel younger. I do have side effects such as the diarrhea, Nausea, and the tired feeling but to me it well worth it. I take it Monday through Saturday and Sunday I break from it which gives me the energy to endure another week of it. I shooting for 140 lbs which is the idea weight for a person of my size. With the help of Victoza and walking I am going to get there. Just wanted to share my experience with you all. Thanks.
I just started Victoza yesterday. Have T2 Diabetes. I feel nausea and loss of appetite and this morning woke up with a horrible migraine. I'm feeling better later on in the day today, still have a loss of appetite but trying to eat small things that will help me like apples, string cheese and protein shakes. Need to lose 100lbs. My A1C levels were at a 12.9. Anxious for this to work and help me. Glad I can read about everyone's experience with this med.
Thanks!
I just started Victoza yesterday. Have T2 Diabetes. I didnt have any reactions with the small dose, I did not feel hunger all afternoon yesterday string
Need to lose 20lbs. I am a bit Anxious for this to work and help me. Glad I can read about everyone's experience with this med.
Thanks!
Hi Kanona,

if your Hba1c is 12.90 this means your average blood sugar is about 380.  This is dangerously high.  You are at risk of serious complications in the short term.

You should be on insulin.  If you are not already on insulin, you need to find a doctor who will put you on insulin.  Please go get a second opinion.  If you are on insulin already, then you need to be taught how to use it properly and need to urgently get in to see a diabetes educator.

Please also look into low carb / high (healthy) fats / moderate protein diet.  Your life depends on getting this under control.
Two days and I have loose 5 pounds.... Is this normal loos so fast?

when you first start to lose weight you first lose water weight (this is from water stored with glycogen), and this initial weight loss can be very rapid, particularly if you have quite a bit to lose.

The weight loss rate will slow down after the initial 1 - 2 weeks.  A good rate to lose weight is 1 - 2 lbs a week.   Be mindful of eating nutritious diet, with plenty of vegetables.
Im trying today...I hear lots of different side effects....I will keep everyone posted...I'm  type 2 Diabetic 5 2 weighs 211 My sugar was 226 this Morning...I pray Victoza works with suppressing my appetite..I joined an excercise Group I need to stay awayfrom carbs & Sweets....Prayers are Powerful...God is Good God Bless You All.
I feel the same way you do. I am going to start it next week. I never get sick so I hope I don't.
As an RN , my advice to you is to be more concerned about the PALPITATIONS !!
Alcohol and Diabetes are not compatible - with or without Victoza !
I am a T1 diabetic, with insulin resistance. I am on a pump. I have struggled with radical BG swings for years. Last year my DNP put me on Metformin and Victoza 1.2 Mcgs. I now am taking 2000 mgs of Met. I had lost a total of about 24 pounds, unfortunately my insurance will not cover the Victoza any longer. Instead they have demanded I switch to Byetta. I have been trying the full 10 mcg dose of VByetta and its not giving me the same level of control after about 2 weeks. I also have gained about 5 pounds.

I should mention my total daily insulin usage had gone from 40-55 units without the Met and GLP-1 to Total daily usage of aprox 17u to 24u which is impressive and explains the weight reduction.

I am of course upset about losing the victoza. my control has grown worse, and I think I need to increase my basal rates again which may mean more weight gain. I should also note, that I think it's appropriate to use  adjunct therapies from the diabetic T2 therapies. In my case it has helped me. I wasn't morbidly obese, but have slowly gained weight over the decades. to lose 24 pounds in the course of 10 months has been great. I feel like with another 20 pounds of weight loss, my body, blood pressure, would feel even better, I also think I may need even less insulin.

Are there any T1's out here with similar or different experiences? I love hearing all this information from T2's! Thank you!

PTL!!!!
I have been taking Victoza for over a year now and not experienced any significant side effects. I'm also follow a low carb 5 small meal a day diet and exercise regularly. I have lost a total of 90 pounds and have been taken off of most my meds for high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol . My HGB A1-c is 5.3 I act and feel much younger. I walk up to 5 miles a day, bike ride and have competed in the PS Tram Walk Challenge and the Tour De Palm Springs Bike ride. This is not a miracle drug. You must diet and exercise to get optimum results and monitored by your physician . I also used social media as my support group during my journey of establishing my Healthy Living Plan. I have a binder I keep healthy recipes and good ideas to stay on track. I wish all of you good luck
I have been on Victoza for a week now.  I was recently diagnosed with Type II.  I took glucose readings for 3 wk before being on Victoza and ran with levels anywhere from 130-170 before or after eating meals.  I also am about 80 lbs overweight.  Due to a mix-up and miscommunication, I took my first dose at 1.8 and lost 2 lbs, BUT I felt horrible.  My stomach ached, I just didnt' feel good.   Found out the next day I was suppose to take only .6 and have been doing that since.  I have lost 7 lbs.  I was worried about side effects as I usually have those with meds, and also have lots of medicine allergies.  However, I have had nothing except being very tired in the middle of the day.  As of 4 days ago, doc cut my bp med in half and that is helping I think.  I think this is the jump start I needed because I really don't care about eating but am also eating "properly".  My blood pressure has really dropped since I've been on this (I ran high but not outrageously) and my glucose readings are all 90-125 before or after meals.  I'm amazed!  Don't plan on doing this forever and doc says if my A1C improves, I will go off of it.  
Actually in the US is is illegal to receive payment in any form for writing a prescription. Gone are the days of kick backs and it is ferociously enforced with huge fines and loss of Medicare and Medicaid  billing eligibility.
I started Victoza last week and my sugars have dropped fast and nice and low, the way they should be. Felt nausea for a couple of days and my hunger level has dropped. I like that "side effect".  Nausea is gone for now. My fingers are crossed for a successful treatment of this horrific disease. I want to lose 45 lbs and get rid of the disease. It can happen....I have friends that got rid of their diabetes.
I had been on Victoza in 2013 and am from Canada.  The government, at that time, had not fully approved it and I was in a medical weight management group.  During my weeks of fasting on Optifast and using Victoza I lost a whopping 115 pounds in just 20 weeks.  True is it that I did have problems of very low blood pressure and even ended up in the hospital.  I seem to react to Victoza in a very positive way.  After two years I gained back about 20 pounds and am now ready for the next spurt to get to my goal weight of 235 lbs (I am 6'5").  I have no intentions to go below that weight as I used to feel best around there.  Victoza today made me very nauseous to the point where I had to have conversations with "Ralph on the big white telephone" and am now wondering if the formula has changed.  I am absolutely not hungry at all, in fact the opposite is true, I feel bloated and very full.  It is extremely important to measure the blood pressure and glucose levels daily and keep a log!  
I have been on Victoza since November.  I am starting to feel dizzy all of the time.  I am gaining weight not losing. I have back pain. I have very bad heart burn if I increase my dosage.  I was on byetta and lost weight but it dropped my sugar really low.  I have not stopped taking it.  I see my doctor tomorrow.
You can get Victoza for $25 a month. Ask your doctor for the discount card or you can go on Victoza.com, click to the right in the area about helping with the cost and fill out the form and instantly get the discount coupon. Print it out and take it to the pharmacy where your dr. electronically sends your Rx and give them the card or the coupon.

I get my testing strips from Winn Dixie. They are about $21.00 for 100 strips.

Hope this helps with the expense.
There are potential complications with all medications.  The ordering provider should be doing regular labwork when starting any new medications.  

On a different note, I am on Victoza for my diabetes and have been on it for 3 years.  No problems.  Bad news always travels faster than good news.  Food doesn't call to me anymore.  I lost 50 pounds with the Victoza.  To go further on my weight reduction plan, I started the HMR meal plan.  It's really great!  I am now 140 poinds lighter.  Almost at my goal.  :)
Wow.......is the word I use to describe how much of a life changing situation this has been for me. You see I have been taking victoza for about a week now and wow I feel like a new person..before taking this drug I was always sick felt tired, heavy, week, bloted, e.t,c.....and now I am busting with such energy I had to go out and buy a home gym, because I want to work out  mostly at nights and I have 2 young kids. I have no serious side effects except for one morning I got up was in a rush, appointments and such I didn't eat the entire day then I started feeling very dizzy I looked at the time noticed it was 4:30pm OMG I had to put some food in my body ASAP but as soon as I did the feeling went away immediately  I'm glad im on this drug I've not check my weight because it's not about that for me it's about the simple fact I can play with my kids and find the strength and energy to get up and do the right thing buy eating right and exercise and if this is what it took, then I'm happy. I am a young smart vibrant single mommy and I want to be around to watch my kids grow, because I'm all they have.
So Good luck to everyone and I'm sorry for the people who it didn't work for, I pray you will find what works for you.
Hello and i welcome you to Exclusive herbal clinic where we are greatly specialize on only the herbal and total medications of diabetes. One of the main reason why we at exclusive herbal clinic believe the main reason for the high level of diabetes illness is because the world has not given the natural herbs the chance to prove to the world of its importance and naturally from God. that is why we at exclusive clinic is bringing this opportunity to everybody struggling with the illness called diabetes to please contact exclusive herbal clinic via mail on ***@****,,
diabetes medications only.....
I've had T2DM for 18 years now.  I am on an insulin pump - Novolog, 2000mg of Metformin daily, 10 mg Invokana and now .6 of Victoza.  Yes, I take all of it.  The insulin tends to keep weight on me and my goal is to get off the insulin.  Like many others, my stomach didn't tell me I was full and I am a stress eater.  Since starting the Victoza 2 weeks ago, I have lost 5 lbs and my appetite is in check.  I am not craving the carbs and delightfully have to "think" about eating.  I had limited discomfort the first few days and was a little nauseous, but that has ceased.  So far, I'm very happy with the results.  I also recommend the Invokana; it has helped me reduce the amount of insulin needed and I only refill my pump every 5-days rather than every 3.  It is a slow race for me, but I am hopeful!
I am so sorry for your loss.  I just started taking it and I have a one year baby.  I need to be around for her.  I would rather be fat than dead.  My A1c is only 6.5 so, if I cut out soda it should be enough.  Thanks for your post.  I'm going to stop using it.  
I started Victoza 1 month ago, and I've lost 18lbs.  So excited and finally lost weight!  I stopped taking the injections due to a knot in my throat and the dry cough.  Is something wrong with my Thyroid or do I need to fight past the feeling of a knot in my throat?
I have lost 30 lbs. when I first started it I was sooo nauseous. I think I lost most of my weight the fist 2weeks, lol. Lower your dose if needed. My doctor had me start at 3 clicks. I am at 10 clicks now. Still get waves of nausea from time to time. The only thing that bugs me is that my urine is darker and it has strong odor.
I went on Victoza November 2014, I was 220 lbs and 4 months after had lost 23 lbs. I have stayed at that weight ever since. My A1C went from 9.5 down to 5.8. It really changed my eating habits, at first I was nauseous and after I didn't want the same foods as before. I no longer have side effect. I am on the 1.8 mg a day which is highest dose.
HOW IS YOUR WEIGHT ISSUE ?  JUST STARTING VICTOZA and appreciate your comments:)  Jo
So have you lost weight ?  still losing ?  I am just starting.
Great start for you:)  
So since you quit taking victoza - have you gained weight back ?
How is knot in throat ?  Status now ?
There was an article in the New England Journal of Medicine (considered the most credible medical journal in the world) that Victoza and drugs like it DO NOT cause pancreatitis.  Unfortunately, people with Type 2 diabetes have a higher risk of acute pancreatitis and it's not related to Victoza - which I've now been using for 3 years and have literally read everything you can about it and other diabetes treatments.  It's safe (it uses a naturally occurring hormone that is made in your gut) has help me loose a lot of weight and my HbA1c's have been in perfect target.   Other drugs like Januvia do not work and Innvoka (and drugs like it, called SGLT-2s) will give all kinds of urinary tract infections and can cause diabetes ketoacidosis (which is something that only Type-1's are suppose to get).  Do you research and talk to your talk to your doctor as the big drug companies are trying to pay them to use the non-hormone drugs.  Stick with Victoza and insulin - i.e. the natural stuff!   This is more than advice and my own experience, it's in the literature.
I started on Victoza in December 2015. To date January 30, 2016 I have lost 16 lbs. once the nausea and vomiting slowed down it was not so bad. But now there are certain foods I used to like and now I can't stand the taste or smell. But in the last 4 days my blood sugars are over 140-145. Very worried.
Do you take your shot in the AM or PM?
I had the same symptom. I went to an ENT and he said my thyroid wasn't enlarged. I was told it is acid reflux...which makes sense.
I've been on it now for 6 weeks I have lost 25 Lbs. I have to force myself to eat I have zero appetite and subdued  nausea which has declined in the last two weeks.
I have just started on Victosia do you take your shot in the AM or PM?
Thank you
No doctor can force a patient to take any drug, especially a drug that clearly is having a negative impact on your health.  Every patient has the right to refuse any treatment at any time.  It is important to listen to your body.  Every body is different and, what may be effective for one person isn't necessarily effective for another.  Please find a doctor who respects a patient's right to be involved in all decisions regarding their health.  It is your body, after all.
I've been taking Victoza since July, 2015 and lost over 35 Lbs. I feel great. The only problem is that the doctor who prescribed Victoza is located in RJ, Brazil. I need a doctor in NYC, NY. Any referrals. I just need to control my weight
Victoza was the first injectable I was given. Took it for 2 nights and had to stop it. It made me so sick during the night. It was then added to my allergy list. But I will say that the two days I was on it, my BS were way down.
I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (POS) years ago. Last year, I was referred to a doctor that specializes in this disease; at the time I first met him, I weighed a whopping 387 pounds (I’m 5’10’’). Of course, the first thing he told me was that my POS would get better if I lost weight. I was totally discouraged! I told him that I was very active and had been on EVERY diet… nothing seemed to work. I was so frustrated and asked if there was anything he could do to jump start my weight loss from a medical stand point. This is when he told me about Victoza and about the study that demonstrated that individuals suffering from POS, not from Type 2 diabetes had lost weight on this medication but there were some serious side effects to consider. I was so desperate that after reading on the matter for a few days, I decided to try it out. The first months were pretty horrible because I had severe nausea and vomiting (in the morning upon waking I would throw up stomach acid – I know erk!) but I decided to continue. The reason I kept up with it is that, for the first time in my life, I could sense that I was full when I ate. For some reason, this message was not making its way up to my brain when I ate before… I thought it was awesome. The medication no only killed every craving I normally had but it stopped me from overeating. I have been on Victoza for one year now. The side effects are no longer there (they stopped after about 6 months after starting Victoza) and I now weigh 276 pounds… yes I lost over 100 pounds. I am continuing to lose weight and wish you all the best.
MarieQC congratulations on your weight loss that's fantastic. Can I ask what dose you are on please? I am on 0.6 daily and although it's totally curbed my appetite I'm losing absolutely zero weight. Thank you in anticipation.
can u buy victosa -im on a complete food replacement diet at the minute so i take a two shakes a day so would i be able to take victosa
I don't know if they get money but I heard they get gifts and trips
Is it okay to drink wine with this medication? Would anyone know
I have been talking Victoza for 13 days along with metformin. A1C was 7.9 when I started and average daily blood sugars were around 150.  I have not been back to the Dr. but my average daily blood sugars have dropped to 115. I am anxious to see what the A1C will show when I return to Dr.

When I first started it I got so ill with diarrhea and vomiting I was in bed for 2 days and I decided not to take it. But I started up again a week later, because I really wanted to see if it could help me lose some weight. The headache, nausea are better and I still occasionally have episodes of vomiting and diarrhea. Hopeful it will continue to get better. However I have already lost 10 pounds (I was 199 when I started.) I have no appetite or desire to eat.  I make myself eat a little something at each meal, my daily calories are around 1200, so it isn't a surprise I am losing weight.
Tbd
External User
No need to take diabetes meds beause I don't have diabetes, but I do have an under active thyroid (hypo) and it is hard to lose weight.