Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Help with A1C

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

Help with A1C

I was told the other day that I can not start on the medication I need to have a baby untill my A1C is to 6 or lower... I'm at 9.7. Anyone have any idea's how I can get it lower fast with out starving myself?
Talk to a nutritionist.  You need to limit your carb intake.  A nutritionist can give you info to make that easier. It is all about the right foods and the right portion controls.   You do NOT have to starve yourself.  I find when I am sticking to the rules, I am not hungry.  When I think I am hungry is when I don't eat right.

Exercise ...  exercise ... exercise.
I agree with "often"... talk to a nutritionist...  and in terms of A1C, there is no "fast" way to lower the result: A1C is a measure of the average glucose load in your blood for roughly the 3 months before the test.  

If your goal is being able to have a healthy baby (and a healthy pregnancy for yourself) remember those goals!  Starving yourself would be one of the worst things you could do to yourself and your developing baby, especially as a diabetic.  Pregnancy often is challenging for diabetics who have good control to start with, so for you and your future baby, you want to be sure you have your 'not pregnant' diabetes under control before getting pregnant.

A good nutritionist can help you get your diabetes (and A1C) under control, and also help you with the potential added challenges of optimal pre-natal vitamins and nutrition as a (future) pregnant diabetic.  Nutritionists (good ones who have knowledge about diabetes, and especially diabetic pregnancy issues) are not cheap, and sadly not always covered by insurance plans, BUT... can you really put a dollar price on doing everything you can do to help you to have a healthy pregnancy, and especially, a healthy baby?

And, again, "often" is right... a dietary and exercise regimen is absolutely required for any of us to have relatively stable blood sugars (and A1C)... I would also add that for us that FIBER is hugely beneficial: it adds to a sense of fullness, slows digestion, helps regulate blood sugar, helps with cholesterol, and yeah, helps with bathroom habits, too...

If you can, find an OB (obstetrician) who specializes or at least has experience with diabetic pregnancy before you get pregnant and consult with her/him about your specific situation.

Good Luck!

Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
T Spine Dumbbell Twist | Trunk Rota...
3 hrs ago by gymdandee
MH Community Mgr added the Blood Pressure Tracker
5 Minute Hip Pain Workout
23 hrs ago by gymdandee