Diabetes - Type 2 Community
High A1C-hemoglobin, normal everything else

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

I am 30 years old and over 200 pounds.  I just had blood work done and it showed an A1C level of 8.1.  Everything else was completley normal-cholesteral, glucose, lipids.
I am wondering if this is an indicator of diabetes or something I should be worried about.
More information from you is needed to answer your question properly.

"I just had blood work done and it showed an A1C level of 8.1."
When interpreting your hemoglobin test you should keep in mind that results differ depending on the test method used. HbA1c test results are expressed as a percentage, with 4 to 6 % considered normal. I came across this chart http://tinyurl.com/6nj9n that you may find interesting. In any event it's hard to say where you stand without knowing your labs A1C range. Have you not discussed the lab results with your PCP?

"Everything else was completley normal-cholesteral, glucose, lipids."
This lab, glucose, was taken at the same time as your A1C? If your A1C @ 8.1% is considered high there is no way you could have a "normal" glucose reading.
I haven't talked to my PCP becuase I live in Nicaragua and am still searching out a doctor.  The blood work was done as part of my insurance screening for an international insurance plan.  I went to a lab in my town where you just walk in and get the test and later on pick up the results-there is no one to help you interpret them.
The slip the lab gave me said that the normal A1C range from 6-8.3% but online it says 4-6%, that is why I am trying to get more info.
thanks for your help.
I need to correct my last sentence. You could have a high A1C and still come out with a normal glucose reading after fasting and refraining from sugar/fructose for 12 hours prior to the lab. Sorry, I jumped the gun on this one.
Every lab has different ranges, some have the same. The Web indicates what is considered the normal range - 4-6% - in the USA. You seem to fall just below the high for YOUR lab. Stop worrying over nothing.
I used a home A1C and my result was 8.8--it is usually below 7.  I realized later that the test kit had expired 2 years prior. Could this make the A1C higher?
A1c give the average blood sugar of period of three months. If you diabetes you should traget <7%, If you are not a diabetes then it should be less than 6.3. It is very important to control A1C because of the above reason.
To be honest, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  

Given you've not seen a doctor, consider that it might be the same test that we use but what they consider "normal" is not up to US standards...and a A1c in the US that was 8.8 would definately be diabetic....anything over 7% is.  In the US, the Biochemist set our standard "normal" ranges...but the test is the same.  

As an example, the TSH test for the thyroid hasn't changed but the "normal" range has...as more studies have been done, it's been lowered from an upper range that was once up to 10, down to 5.5-6.0...all because the Biochemist's have lowered the upper range of the test.  What you took may be the same test we take here, however, in Nicaragua, they could have a higher % that they consider "normal".

If it were me, I'd modify my diet, get some exercise and do another test in no more than 3 months....and find a doctor, please, just in case it is the same test.  High glucose damages most every organ in your body...but especially the eyes, heart, kidneys and your circulation.
Sorry....I typed 8.8 when your labs were 8.1...but they are still above 7%