Diabetes - Type 2 Community
High Blood Sugar

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

High Blood Sugar

Good Morning, I have a question about high blood sugar levels that don't seem to stabilize. My boyfriend has been struggling for years with high blood sugar. He told me this morning that his level was at 480+!!!! He says he doesn't feel any different whether it's high or low. The lowest it's been (to my knowledge) is still in the high range of 200+. He's one of those who just try to do things "naturally" so therefore is not currently taking RX meds, just natural supplements. What can he do? Anything you suggest would be helpful.
Thank you
It's good to see that you care about your boyfriends well being. What he needs to understand is that popping pills - being supplements or drugs - will not cure diabetes alone. Education is a key; he needs to get educated on diabetes control and management by going to the American Diabetes Association [ADA] web site. Click the links at the top of this page - Health Tools, Health Information for additional educational material so he can start to get his health back in order.

His glucose [blood sugar] levels of 480+ mg/dl has entered the danger zone. Being high for so long his body has adjusted to the higher levels so he feels no difference. What he doesn't feel is the damage he is causing to his kidneys, his cardio system, his blood pressure and nerves [diabetic neuropathy] - DN leads to amputation.

Here's some of the lifestyle changes he must undertake:

Eat a diabetic nutrition -
● Of course no table sugar, no energy drinks, no fruit juices, no deserts. Fruits contain fructose [fruit sugar]. Limit fruit intake and eat fruits with other foods to slow the absorption of sugar entering the bloodstream. Fruit juices and concentrated fruit juices have levels of sugar. Avoid them.
● No white foods [foods made with white flour - breads, crackers, etc], no white rice, no potatoes, no pasta as these quickly turn into sugar after eating.
● Limit carbohydrate intake as these too quickly turn into sugar after eating. Google search 'simple carbs vs complex carbs' and understand the difference.
● Read ALL nutrition labels carefully. Mfg's hide sugar by replacing refined sugar as cane sugar, corn syrup, aguave sugar, etc. Sugar listed under carbohydrates is nasty; every 7 grams equals one HEAPING Tablespoon of refined sugar.
● Eat foods made with whole grains, lean meats, poultry [minus skin], and seafood. Substitute milk [has 8 grams + of sugar per glass] with almond/soy/hemp unsweetened no sugar milk. Eat more vegetables.

Body weight -
● Maintain normal body weight. The BMI should be <27. Excess glucose is stored in body fat. Losing that fat helps lose the excess glucose. Besides, it makes one feel better.

Exercise -
● An easy way to lower glucose levels is to stay fit and healthy. Regular exercise not only helps lower glucose levels, but also helps fight infections. Staying active and taking regular exercise can also help with blood pressure problems. Exercise also helps control the body's weight and regulate cholesterol levels.

This exercise does not need to be a grueling workout. Thirty minutes of exercise a day, even walking, will help to lower glucose levels.

This is a start and hope he makes those lifestyle changes. Post back if you have further questions.
I don't get the 480 or even the 200 bit?   Maybe its a location thing. Is it.   In Australian meters.   My range is usually from 6.00 to say 14.10 over the years.    At my highest was like  29.03.  I'd pigged out on choc cake or something,  was a one off.   I lie ;)  six off
My average for this present month is on the high side unfortunately. 11.0.to 12.0 .
2x2 diaformin  1 x 2 diamicrin   I'll have to work on that a bit more.
Gai0 - Around the world glucose levels are measured with two different systems. In the US, parts of S. America, parts of Asia and the Middle East it is measured in mg/dl. In Europe and Australia it is measured in mmol/l. The 480 mg/dl is equivalent to 26.66 mmol/l and 200 mg/dl is 11.11 mmol/l.
I see,  thanks.Waverider.  
I agree with Waverider completely...he will need to make a lifestyle change in what he eats.  I was on a 1800 calorie diabetic diet given to me by my doctor.  More important is what I was eating as I eliminated many foods from my diet.  Breads and pasta turn into sugar as soon as he eats it and it can raise his Glucose levels high.  He may want to see his doctor and get classes on changin his eating habits and foods he should have.  If you are cooking for him, you may want to attend this class with him so that you can help him.  My wife is not a diabetic but she cooks for both of us.  She has lost a lot of weight doing what I do.  Hope this helps.
He needs to see an MD  BG in the 200 will damage his body
IE  go blind, kidney failure, loss of circulation and feeling in his feet and hands leading to amputation.  BG of 400 means it will happen sooner.
Ask your boyfriend to start doing YOGA every morning empty stomach atleast for 35 minutes regularly. His sugar level will start falling down from the 2nd day itself.
There are special yoga's for diabetics. Ask your boy friend to find out online through search. If he dont know which one to do even after searching then let me know i will provide exactly what he needs to do. My sugar level use to be the same as your boyfriend's level but now i am total under control due to YOGA and dont have to take a single pill in a day.
Good Luck!