Diabetes - Type 2 Community
How can I lower my blood sugar level

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

How can I lower my blood sugar level

VisMy doctor says that if my blood sugar level is still high after my next blood test, then she will have to diagnose me as diabetic.  I guess this will happen unless I can bring down my blood sugar level within the next month - (Is this possible to do such a thing)?  This is all new to me and I am trying to educate myself.  I am a cigarette smoker as well and I believe this is the first problem I should work on, but I'm not sure where to start.  I would welcome any advise offered.  I believe I also need to work on diet and exercise
I could find no way to delete my post but, after reading more post on this forum, I realized that keeping your blood sugar in control is a process.  I also realized that I can talk with my doctor about giving me a chance to work on my blood sugar levels before she diagnosis me as diabetic.

I do apolize if my question was a really stupid one.  I intend to do more reading and start to educate myself more.
No need to apologize. We all have to start someplace in learning about and managing diabetes. Diabetes diagnosis is a matter of numbers. If your fasting blood sugar is from 100-125 you are pre-diabetes, and if it is 126 or over you are diabetic. I'm not sure what your doctor means about diagnosing you or not. Perhaps in deference to your insurance needs he is holding off writing it down even if your numbers are in the diabetes range?

At any rate, the things people do if they are pre-diabetes (and they care about their health!) are the same things they do in the early stages of diabetes. If you have Type 2 diabetes (and you need to be sure of your type, talk to your doctor) you need to make changes in diet and exercise and if you are overweight you need to lose weight. Those changes can sometimes keep the blood sugar in range for quite awhile. There IS a lot of information on the internet about diet, but basically you need to eliminate sugar and reduce your intake of carbs; the less carbs, the less your blood sugar spikes. So less things like rice, pasta, bread, cereal, especially the white flour variety. (some of us find whole grain products better for blood sugar, some of us find it ALL spikes us). If your blood sugar is seriously high, or has been so for awhile your doctor might go right to prescribing oral meds.
Right, proper nutrition, daily physical exercise and proper weight are key ingredients in keeping your blood glucose normal. If you work on all three ingredients you can return your blood glucose back to normal levels. However, like a baker friend once told me fail or slack on one ingredient and your cake will be a mess.

A good web site to learn about diabetes prevention and care is eMedTV. Educating yourself about diabetes will make conversations with your doctor not only easier, but also more to the point so your questions/concerns/issues can be answered.

Lastly, the only stupid questions are the ones not asked. Continue to read through the forum threads - lots of good information has been posted that may answer questions you have. If any arises please post back.
Thank you for your help and support.  I started a daily exercise program of at least 30 minutes a day, of walking.  For now I think this will be my exercise program until I get use to it.
Also reading about food choices. They have a food tracker and recipes on the ADA website- I'll check that out and I also plan to have a look at eMedTV

Although I have not been diagnosed yet - I just want to be prepared.

Talk with you later