Diabetes - Type 2 Community
I am concerned about my morning readings

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Hello~I have not been diagnosed as a diabetic, and my last A1C was 5.8. However, lately, my morning fasting levels have been higher than normal and I am worried. My doctor says it is stress related as I am releasing a lot of cortisol, but, still, I am concerned. My stresses are: starting college soon, taking some tests, my fiance having major surgery, illness in the family.I am 52 years old, and try to eat right.

My morning readings used to always be in the 80's, then, two weeks ago the night before my boyfriends surgery, I checked it before bed, and it read 154, I could have fainted, just two hour previously, it was 110. The next morning, 5/4  instead of being in the 80's, it was 106 fasting for 9 hours,(this was the day of his surgery), it finally went down that night to the 80's again.  The day after that, 5/5, it was 105 and stayed there all day, after I ate a low carb meal, it went to 122 two hours after. The next morning, 5/6 it was 98, I don't mind that.

Well, on 5/7, I woke up with a horrible tummy ache, the docs think now it was food poisoning, I was sick as a dog, I took my sugar at 4 in the morning thinking it was too low, but, dang, it was 148, I had eaten some tums however prior to that and they are full of sugar. It stayed elevated until 10:32 that morning, and my fasting was 118.

The next mornings, 5/8 through 5/12, my fasting was in the 90's, then yesterday, on the 13th, it went up again to 102, I had some school tests and such coming up and was nervous. This morning, the 14th, it was 107. So, as you can see, I have been a mess. I charted all this and gave it to my doctor, she said not to worry, that it was stress related and the more I worry, the higher it will go, also, my period started yesterday, and I understand this can elevate it too.

In the past, I have always been hypoglycemic, so, this is new to me. I guess I should try not to worry, get more exercise and keep a record for a few weeks before I panic. My boyfriend has just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, so now I am more nervous about it, his numbers, however were awful, the doc got him at over 470, he is doing better though and sticking to his diet and his metoforim is really helping.

Anyway, have any of you had the numbers fluctuate like me and been told it is stress? I am in high anxiety right now, and I am really worried. I also have irregular heart beats, GERD, and panic attacks, so, I am a member of many forums. My chiropractor helps a lot as does my acupuncture treatments, but, I still worry.

Thanks for reading this.
Susie
Wow, these are great numbers. Wish I had them. I am type 2 and my numbers jump all over the place depending upon when I take the readings, what I'm eating and how much, and the combination of food. Stress doesn't seem to bother my numbers but being sick does. My fasting will range anywhere from 118 to 126 in the morning. During the day they can be 120 to 136 2 hrs after a meal. I take Metformin 3 times a day to keep the numbers down.

Sounds like you do have an issue with stress and that affects your sugars. As you know, you should try and find ways to reduce that stress or live and let go so to speak. Some things just are going to happen and you don't have any control over it. I guess I'm a don't sweat the small stuff sort of person and works for me.
Stress certainly does play its role in increasing blood sugar levels. But I'm concerned with what else your doctor told you about managing your numbers other than "It's stress, don't worry" He is right, that worrying makes things worse, but developing a concrete plan to control your blood sugar is, on the other hand, very useful. Please educate yourself (you can do it along with your boyfriend!) on how to control blood sugar with a combination of dietary changes, exercise, and weight loss if you are over your healthy weight. I would also recommend working on finding healthy ways to handle stress.
Thank you for your reply.

I have a feeling that the reason my doctor took what I told her so lightly was due to the fact that she knows I know quite a bit about this subject, but, when it comes to me, I get scared and don't apply what I know. I have done a lot of studying on diabetes/sugar disorders, but, I am embarrassed to say when it hits home, I panic. She figures, I guess, that I know what to do, and basically she is right, I just like the support from others as well.

I know that I do need to increase my exercise however. I live in a colder climate, and up until now, have not really had a chance to get out, however, I should have worked out inside, I back slid.

Yesterday, I randomly took my blood sugar about 4 hours after a rather high carb meal, it was only 110, this morning it was in the 90's and just now, only two hours after a meal, I was 119. You see, I am home now, I had been out of town for 2 weeks helping my boyfriend recover from his two surgeries, I am now leveling off at home and feel better. Being on the nervous side, I have to watch my anxiety levels, they can shoot up fast.

Thanks again for your answer, I appreciate it a lot, it reminds me to behave myself more and to do better with certain issues.

Today, I took my sugar readings three times in a row, the first time, it was 106, then 92 then 96, all fasting and all within 5 minutes of each other. Does it hurt to check so many times that closely. I also just checked it now, 2 hours after breakfast, it was 116.

You are right, TKD4U, I have to stop sweating the small stuff, it is going to ruin my health.
I think it probably adds to stress to check so many times so closely and there really isn't any point to it. Meters are known to have a variation and so it is normal to come up with three different numbers that are fairly close. Aside from the cost, there really is no purpose (other than worry!) in testing so much. My suggestion would be to "test with a purpose". If the test is taken at a time that gives you useful information to act upon, then it is important to test (once) at that time. Morning fasting numbers give an important clue to trend and how medications are working. Testing two hours after meals tells you how much your blood sugar is rising from food. It also can be useful to determine if certain foods or certain portions of foods work for you and keep you below target (140). A test four hours after a meal doesn't tell you anything useful, on the other hand, as you could have spiked up much higher and returned to normal.

It's sometimes a narrow line between testing too little, just enough or too much. If anxiety is a problem, and that is why you are testing, ask yourself what is the goal of a test before you do it.
zoelula i want to say you know your stuff and alot more. thank you for helping us out!!!
Hey, thanks DES530! I did a lot of research a year ago when I figured out my type had been misdiagnosed. I also am on two other websites that have literally thousands of of people with diabetes, and I have learned from all of them!  
Hello.SassyLassie
I am required by my endo (sugar dr) to take my surgers 8 times a day.
1. getting up in morning
2. before I eat breakfast
3. 2 hr after I eat
4. after morning snack
5. before supper
6. 2 hours after supper
7. after night time snack
8. at bed time
Medicare wants monthly charts because of high count of stick purchased. I think it depends on the person as to how many times to count, required and personnal. I hate sticking myself so many times but I do think it is necessary for me. I have been doing this many for about 6 months. Yes my fingers hurt. I have the condition called "dawn phenomenon". My sugars goes up before daylight. I have gotten up during the night to see what my readings were.  I try really hard to keep them low. But I have so much stress in my life that it is almost impossible to keep at a constant level all day long. I am really counting carbs to try for better control. The night time is worse for me with all my illness because my brain speeds up at night thinking about all the things I did during the day. Did I do right or wrong?  A present from by mother who taught me to examine every words that I say and what was said to me. I am 59 years old and my mother still ask me NOW what did you learn from your action yesterday.   Another story for the head doctor  !!HA!! HA