If I lower my A1C, am I still diabetic?
I was diagnosed with diabetes about 9 months ago. I have a family history and a rare orphan disease that seems to have ignited the Diabetes. I was prescribed Metformin but I wasn't happy about adding more medication to my life. I've been on IV treatments & meds for my other disease. I cut out most carbs & added excercise and lowered my A1C to normal range. Does this mean I'm not diabetic anymore? In spite of my lowered A1C, if I eat any high carb food, I'm up all night peeing & feel like I'm dying of thirst....
Call it what you want  you are controlling you BG by eating low carb.  Key word is controlling.  Yes you are diabetic.  YOU are doing a great gob of CONTROLLING your BG, this will result in delaying or preventing the onset of complications.. Like going blind losing toes/feet/legs.  dont worry about labels.  Control your BG for YOU!
You are still diabetic, but you are able to control with diet.  The answer is long term adherence to low carb.

Btw.  What is your current hba1c, and typically blood sugar numbers.  Normal ideally is hba1c < 5.0, fasting BS < 95, and post eating not higher than 140 (but ideally < 120, or even lower).
My fasting blood sugars  went from 156 to 178 to about 111 in the mornings. This morning however, was a 130. A1C was about 6 and it went to 5.3....but that's temporary. Today it's a 5.4 due to some high numbers yesterday. I am really trying to monitor closely as I have had a lot of symptoms when I eat any carbs.
I was told your diabetes is in remission if you have normal readings consistently for s period of time. I forget what time that is. However given that you were diagnosed you have to eat in mind that you still ate do that you don't return to high numbers. I was diagnosed 2 years ago, ate right & exercised then fell off the cliff numbers are worse now. I'm trying to control it by lifestyle changes. My number after dinner was 130 but this morning my fasting BG was 206. Walked briskly for an hr for 3.25 miles. BG 97. My brother said exercise is the key & I've noticed it immediately. Even 30 minutes of a 20 minute mile helps