Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Is my glucose meter off or should I be concerned?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Some background info: Nine years ago I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my second pregnancy. However, my 2-hour glucose testing numbers were borderline. I tested my blood 4 times per day and never once had an abnormal or even remotely high result the rest of my pregnancy. With my 3rd pregnancy I was not diagnosed with gestational diabetes. That was 4 years ago. Diabetes does not run in my family. No one in my family has it.

I decided to buy a blood glucose meter a week ago and test myself because I was feeling sick and had some diabetes symptoms (urinating a lot, dry mouth). It turns out I was just sick with a viral infection (fever, nausea, diarrhea), which I'm still not completely over.

I'm not consistently testing myself after every meal, but I have been in the morning because my fasting blood glucose numbers aren't great. My after meal #'s are fine. I just had an 82 after breakfast, nothing higher than a 123 for the past week, but my fasting #'s are all over the place. The 2nd day I tested when fasting I got a 116 and then tested again a minute later and got an 88. I would say the overall average is around 100, but my fasting #'s are within such a big range every morning that I'm wondering if they are accurate. I know that your fasting # should be under 100. I'm wondering if my meter is off? How can the #'s have such a huge range and still be accurate?

I called the company and asked them to send me the control solution for my meter. I bought the cheap Up & Up meter at Target. Maybe they aren't accurate. Which meters are the most accurate?

Now I'm wondering if I'm pre-diabetic. I do need to lose 50 pounds (which I'm working on).

April
I see your post in two parts; first, when to test your glucose, and two, meter accuracy.

Glucose testing:
These are the times to test
1] preprandial fasting [nothing to eat or drink [except water] for 8-10 hours] - this will provide an insight on how much glucose your liver dumps in anticipation of your awakening energy needed.
2] preprandial [before meal] - this will provide a baseline measurement against how the foods you consumed affected your glucose levels
3] postprandial [2-3 hours after meal] - this is when glucose from foods you consumed plateau in your bloodstream.
These are the levels:
60/70 to 99 mg/dl is considered normal fasting
100 to 125 mg/dl is considered prediabetes
>126 mg/dl is considered diabetes

The Up & Up meter is Target's house brand. Never heard of it until now so cannot comment on its accuracy. The FDA set meter guidelines as ± 20%, meaning a meters results can be 20% deviate in both directions. Meters are not designed to be accurate but only to reflect an estimate. Not all blood samples are alike nor carry the same amount of glucose and the reason for one reading to be 116 mg/dl and a minute later 88 mg/dl. This is why doctors and hospitals alike use the A1c test as the gold standard. The A1c measures your glucose going back 2-3 months. Why? Red blood cells live on average 2-3 months. Excess glucose rides around the exterior of new red blood cells, never getting absorbed to be used for energy or burnt off. The A1c captures this. Your results are returned in % [percentile] where <5% is considered normal. To remove all doubt go see your doctor and ask for the A1c. No fasting is required so you can take it anytime of the day.

As far as the most accurate meter, the last test ran by Consumer Reports two years ago had the Johnson & Johnson One Touch Ultra meter as the most consistent meter with regards to accuracy. Dig around the inet as J&J still offers a free meter.

Normal weight, 30 minutes of physical exercise daily and a diet of no sugar and low carbs are the keys in controlling and managing your glucose levels. HTH...Good luck
I should add, postprandial levels to aim for are <141 mg/dl, optimum <121 mg/dl
Thanks for the information. All my post meal #'s have been just fine. My highest was 123 but that was only an hour after eating. I usually wait 2 hours and test. The others have all been 110 or less.

I guess my main question was: is it possible that my meter isn't accurate based on it giving me up to 24 number difference within a 1 minute testing window? I understand the margin of error, but that seems wildly inaccurate. The meter I used during pregnancy (I can't remember the brand) was never like that. It would always be very close in results no matter how many times I tested during the same time period.  

I had an A1c test 4 years ago and when I was 3 months pregnant. It was 5 point something back then.

Oh, and one more thing. Could being sick cause my #'s to be off, or would that only happen with people that are actually diabetic?

Thanks,

April
The Up & Up from pictures looks cheaply made. Besides, I wouldn't buy electronic medical supplies from Target, especially one made for them - a house brand. I searched and found the free One Touch Ultra offering if you're interested. It's a great meter made by Johnson & Johnson. I have been using one for the past seven years. I trust it, my primary doc trust it, and so do my Endos. Just answer Yes to the first question. https://www.onetouch.com/offers

As far elevated glucose levels in non-diabetics? Illness, stress, even certain medications can elevate levels in all people.
Another vote for One Touch here.
Why wouldn't you buy electronic medical equipment from Target? I do believe that they sell the One Touch Ultra. What is the difference in buying it from them or at another pharmacy or online?