Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Just wondering

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Just wondering

I've had several weird health related issues over the past year, and have recently been to an endocrinologist for a work-up.  I have a very strong history of adult type II diabetes (not necessarily weight related) on my father's side of the family (Grandmother, uncle and father only one of which was ever overweight).  One of my "weird" issues is a feeling of low blood sugar near the lunch hour or between meals, so the endocrinologist gave me a tester and asked me to test myself when I felt "off."  This was in conjunction with regular blood work.  

I wasn't feeling overly well two days ago and I took my blood sugar level two hours after eating a turkey burger on a large wheat roll.  I struggled with the test strip and getting the blood to flow to get a sample though, so it wasn't the most elegant of testing sessions :-).  The meter read 179 which I know is quite high for a "non-diabetic."  I was off to a meeting and couldn't automatically retest to double check, but I did within the hour.  My level was 103 upon retesting.  

Since then, because it worried me a bit, I have taken my blood sugar reading 1.5 and 3 hours after eating to see if there is a spike, and my level has never been above 105 (2 days).  Do you think it is possible that the meter had an "off" reading that one time? I'm not hugely concerned, as I already know that losing 20 lbs will work miracles and I know that at SOME point I'm likely to deal with this disease on my own.  I'm just new at the moment to using the monitor and was wondering if a false reading was possible?

It is a one touch ultra 2 if that's important.

Thanks!!
Yours is an interesting post with many unanswered questions. Hopefully, I can help point some things out.

1.) What did your endo have to say about your preprandial and between meal hypoglycemia feelings?

2.) Do you eat a heavy laden carbohydrate breakfast?

3.) Did you carefully read the instruction sheet accompanying the glucose test meter?
a.) Ultra 2's have test solutions to insure your meter provides a reading within a certain range. Did you check?
b.) Did you calibrate the meter to the test strip code?

4.) Did you clean your test area prior to using the meter; washing with soap & water or cleansed with an alcohol swab? If not you will most definitely get weird results.

Those are your first steps. Next, never test when feeling ill as an illness gives you a false/positive. Proper postprandial [after meal] test times are between 2 and 3 hours, not before or after. It usually takes 2-3 hours for your blood sugars to plateau. Your postprandial goal is to obtain normal levels of 60/70 to 99 mg/dl

Lastly, you're correct, losing that excess 20 lbs will provide positive health benefits, one being lowering your blood sugar levels. Also, it would be good to know what bloodwork was performed and their results. HTH