Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Lingering Confusion after accidental Bromazepam overdose

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

My mom who is 71 years old is a diabetic due to the removal of her pancreas last year.  Recently, she was hospitalized for 3 weeks to regain her strength and due to considerable weight loss. She was released last Friday, and I spoke with her on Saturday (she lives in Europe) and she was in very good spirits and very alert. On Sunday my brother called and told me that she was confused, irritated and didn't know what time of day it was. He measured her insulin levels which were very low. Initially, he contributed her state to her low insulin levels. On Monday she was in very bad shape and he noticed that she had taken 9!  6mg Bromazepam since Friday. He called the her primary care and was admitted to the hospital again.  I've spoken to her a few times since then. Sometimes she makes sense and is aware of current events, but sometimes she says some very confusing things. She also sounds very sleepy.  

I would like to know if this still could be the after effects of taking that many pills over the course of 3 days. She had also barely eaten since she had been released from the hospital and is a light weight.

I take a low dose anti anxiety pill when I have to fly, and it knocks me out. Can it be that she is still experiencing lingering effects from the high quantity, especially since she's very petit and has medical issues?

Any advice would be appreciated.  

Thanks so much in advance!
Hi there!

6 mg of bromazepan over a few days is not a very high dose to result in the described symptoms. The symptoms could be attributed to low blood sugar or die to unrelated causes such as strokes, medication side effect etc. It would be best to discuss the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with her treating doctor(s).

Take care!
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
melimeli commented on melimeli's status
1 hr ago
melimeli commented on spider6's status
melimeli commented on veronica0808's status