Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Lyrica and type 2 diabetes high blood sugar
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lyrica and type 2 diabetes high blood sugar

I was maintaining my blood sugar between 80 - 120, only taking Glipizde 5 mg twice a day.
I was having a problem with my toes on my left foot, so my doctor gave me Lyrica.
After about a week my blood sugar went way up. Talked to my doctor and he said to quit taking Lyrica.
My blood sugar never came back down, after several months of closely monitoring what I ate and increasing my
Glipizide to 2 tablets twice a day. Nothing, still high.
I am now on Insulin glargine (rDNA origin) injections, and have been increasing the dosage bi-weekly and still nothing.
Anyone got any idea how to get this under control? Wish I had come to this board before I started taking the Lyrica. I tend to have problems with drugs quite often.
I have Crohn's disease, with a foot of my Ilium, Cecum, and Ascending Colon taken out.
I suffer from a pinched nerve in my neck that affects my shoulder and upper left arm, get shots once in awhile which helps.
I have a damaged nerve around my mid section caused by Shingles, which can get quite bad at times
Arthritis in my knees, which I get shots that help.

The drugs I am taking:
Aciphex
Buspirone - had a bad side effect to Tegretol, which caused permanent extreme anxiety
Cyanocobal (B12) injections - no terminal Ilium.
Gabapentin
Glipizide XL
Hydrocodone/APAP
Insulin Glargine (rDNA) orgin)
Metoprolol - bad side effect to Purinethol caused permanent Angina/High blood pressure
Rapaflo - Urination problem

5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
231441_tn?1333896366
Hello,

you will need to keep increasing your insulin dose until it does work.  You are taking steroid which means that you could be quite insulin resistant and will need quite a high dose.

You should be using both basal (long acting) for your background blood sugar and bolus (short acting insulin) to cover meals.

Are you working with a diabetes educator?

Would highly recommend the book diabetes solutions by Dr. Richard Bernstein as it explains well how to use insulin, and also alow carb diet to help reduce how much insulin you actually need.

Blank
The "shots" you get I assume are steroids  steroids will raise BG. also infections can too.  Insulin lowers BG everybody need a different amount of insulin.  We also know carbohydrates raise BG,  less carbs eaten less insulin needed.
Blank
4812794_tn?1359500746
Thanks for your response, I will check that book out.
Blank
4812794_tn?1359500746
Thank you for replying
Blank
Pain, infection, stress can all raise BG
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Weight Tracker
Track your weight
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
535822_tn?1413656274
Blank
margypops commented on GMO'S IN THESE F...
2 hrs ago
1236893_tn?1408490528
Blank
GMO'S IN THESE FOODS
2 hrs ago by gymdandee
1806721_tn?1388096157
Blank
Pregnancy Journal (week 4)
Oct 19 by Annie_777
Diabetes - Type 2 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949