Metformin in the elderly
My Mother is 92 slim 126 pounds she feels lightheaded and dizzy in the Mornings after taking her metformin but fells better as the day wears on .  I believe the metformin lowers her blood sugars in the morning causing her to feel dizzy and spacy.  She has never had a A1C above 6 so i think the metformin is causing lower blood sugar readings
I'm on metformin and I take mine at my evening meal or bedtime.  Sometimes I will get to feeling like that but I have to make sure to eat at least something small.  My doc told me metformin will not cause ur blood sugar to go too low....but I'm not really sure.  Hope that helps some.
Why is she on Metformin if "She has never had a A1C above 6"? An A1c of 6% equates to a daily glucose average of 125 mg/dl usually not requiring oral diabetes medication.

There is a very rare, but very serious side effect that can occur while taking metformin. The condition is called Lactic Acidosis. Having any of these symptoms: increased sleepiness or unexplained lethargy, weakness, decreased or slowed heart rate, cold sensations, stomach pains, or FEELING LIGHT HEADED or have fainted either before or after taking Metformin she could be showing some of the symptoms of lactic acidosis. This is a dangerous syndrome and requires immediate medical attention. Contact her doctor and inform him/her of your mother's situation asap. Good luck -
Hi I think you may be right.  I would talk to her doctor as it does sound like the metformin dose she is on is too much.
I recently had to have mine reduced because my A1C had gone down to 4.9
While 6 is very good for a diabetic. my Dad who is in his 70's is only required to keep his A1C under 7.
Good luck with your Mon
Thanks for your comment The Dr. took my Mother off the metformin.  They checked her blood her oxygen her heart and gave her a CT scan everything is normal but she is still feeling dizzy Dr. wants her to have more test but right now Mother doesn't want any