Metformin?
Has anyone experienced side effects from this?  My mother takes it and says that she has an amazing amount of gas pain in her back and has been taking it for about a year now.  Thank you
I just started it a few weeks ago and I have tremendous amounts of gas.  It is downright embarrassing, and painful!

I take simethicone to try to counteract the bloating, but it only helps so much.
Do this to overcome side effects of Merformin.Continue the exercises daily and the diabetes will also be controlled.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day).Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Post your question on the Ask A Doctor's forum. Dr Ramsetty maybe able to answer your question.