Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Mom needs help!

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

Mom needs help!

Hi, My mom has had Diabetes Type II for years.  She has not been able to keep her sugar levels under control with her meds (fasting it is 203), the Dr wants her on insulin and to check her sugar 3-4 times a day (strips).  I dont know too much about that.  I live 4 hrs away from her. My mom and dad are on Disability and they cannot afford the shots, insulin and the strips and all the other meds they have to take (dad's a heart patient).  Does anyone know how I can help them locate where to look to get her help with this? They live in Centeral Fl. They get just $100 over the SS amount to qualify for financial help, it's crazy!  But, I need a Diabetes assoc. or something.  Thanks for any input anyone may have.  Have a blessed day!
One thing that might help them out is that even though some of those things do not need a prescription - like the test strips, lancets and syringes and meters - if the Dr. gives them a prescription for thehose items they can be partially covered by insurance.  Also many meter companies will give away the meters to get the customers for the test strips etc.  You might check into that as well.  Check the American Diabetes Association web site.  I am sure you can google it.  They might have some good help as well.
Partially covered by insurance?  Good luck.  I just paid $100 for my test strips, and my doc told me only test twice a day (once fasting, and then pick a meal for the other time and vary which meal I pick on various days) since money is an issue for me (have other meds that are expensive).  I had gestational diabetes several years ago, and my insurance covered everything at 100% then because of the health of the child, but regular diabetes, testing not covered at all!  Diabetic medicine is covered, just not the testing.  Stupid health insurance.  My dad's insurance doesn't cover his testing strips either.  Sure, they give you a free meter, and then they catch you on the strips!  Stupid manufacturers bilking diabetics.  Okay, I'm bitter about the cost.  But, when you have other medicines and $50 copays because copays have gone up recently, you end up with like $200 a month in medicines and then you wonder where your money is going out the window.  Good news, I think most insurances cover insulin and the pills with the copay.  I had a $10 copay for my diabetic pills.

Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
Gross Things Beef Cattle Eat
4 mins ago by gymdandee
Genetic Engineering Disrupts Basic ...
24 mins ago by gymdandee
gymdandee commented on Remedies for Arthriti...