Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Mr

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Mr

how do you figure how many units of novolog to take?
Read this http://tinyurl.com/novolog-units
Once you have a good understanding contact your doctor to ensure he/she feels your dosage formula is correct. Do this first and before you make adjustments.
Novalog is an excellent drug, but requires a lot of insight and understanding in order not to be a danger to oneself. Many providers will not prescribe Novalog unless you are under a strictly supervised program with weekly reports to a nurse practicioner or physician. Novalog is a fast-acting insulin and it is very easy to get into trouble with it. The amount of Novalog injected depends upon the type of food and the number of calories in the portions ingested. If you eat at a senior center, for example, the number of calories each day from the "standard" meal is more-or-less exactly the same. In such a case, if you use Novalog, you titrate the dose to the "standard meal", and take several glucose readings before the injection and after the meal. This also assumes that you START OUT before the meal with approximately the SAME glucose level. Using Novalog safely requires a lot of thought and understanding. If in doubt, use a smaller dose. In general Novalog should not be used without taking blood sugar readings. If your meal varies the dose of Novalog must vary. That dose depends upon your weight and degree of diabetic disease. There is no "one formula fits all". A 220 pound person who eats an 800 calorie meal starting with a 140 reading will require a different dose than a 100 pound female eating the same 800 calorie meal starting with a glucose reading of 220. Basically you need to know what your glucose level is before injecting, the number of calories (approximately) you intend to digest, and from your past history (testing yourself after eating with small doses) knowing how your body reacts to the Novalog. And be very cautious if living alone when using Novalog.
Ammm  

I would be dead if I fallowed your advice.
For us T2 the its the CARBS not the calories If I eat 100 calories of fat I take 0 novalog and have 0 BG rise If I eat 100 calories of carbs I will have a ~100 Point rise in BG or I take 9 IU of humalog.  

roy325
you can start with the 500 rule  That assumes you eat god knows how much carbs a day and you have no insulin resistance and you make no insulin... a lot of assumptions.

take BG before you eat COUNT your carbs start with the 500 rule (I know I bitched about that rule but gota start some place and its a safe place to start) take BG 1 hour 2 hour 3 hour after eating if your BG is higher than you before you eat you need more insulin.  check this with several meals,

Do you know how much your BG goes up for 20 gr of carbs?  do some tests.  fast for 4 hours measure your BG eat 20gr of carbs,  peanut butter/bread... measure 1/2/3/4 hours after eating.

do this several times in different days

take humalog to the 500 rule do the carb test again notice how much you BG is lower than the other tests  Adj the humalog till your BG rise is minamul.

there is no quick answer, you have to find YOUR ratio the only way to find that is by testing.  
You are absolutely positively correct. I should have used the term carbohydrates.
I just hate it when I mean one thing and I say/type something else ;)
BTDT
Monster
i have taken Novolog 70/30 for many years and control the dose by my blood sugar readings
do you count carbs or eat a fixed diet.  since the amount of carbs in a meal will effect BG how do you account for them (carbs) when figuring your insulin does?