Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Neuropathy/discolored swollen feet and ankles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

6 years ago I went to the ER because I couldn't get out of bed, my legs and hands were numb.  They tested me for Diabetes, MS, and both resut'ls came back negative.  They came to the conclusion I had Neuropathy.  I was unable to walk for over a year.  Over the past few years I have regained all feelings in my hands and arms.  My legs and thighs still tingle, but there is almost complete numbness and aches and pains in my feet.  The past few weeks my feet and ankles (mostly the right one) are swelling with some kind of fluid also a slight purplish discoloration.  It takes about 2 days before they completley go down.  So my over all question is, does this sound like MS or Diabetes, or just plain old Neuropathy?  I have no insurance at this time, but i am getting very concerned.  So any kind of input, feed back, would be greatly appreciated. :)
Dec 12 ,2010 This pranayam exercise will stimulate your liver and kidneys, and your swelling will go down gradually. Do it daily for 30 minutes,twice a day and let me know how you feel after 9 days.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Some of your symptoms certainly can be diabetes. But you can't be sure without a couple of blood tests. The A1C test and Fasting Glucose or GHC test. The A1C will provide you with an average over the last 90 days and the GHC provides a current blood level.
Without insurance you can still go to a pharmacy and purchase a diabetes tester called a Glucose Reader. Walgreen's has them for pretty good prices
Here's a link not sure if I can put this on here but here goes: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/bayer-contour-usb-blood-glucose-monitoring-system/ID=prod6008536-product

Without the tests and reader you'll have a pretty tough time knowing what your levels are. The typical treatment for Type II is a wide range of medications, food changes, and exercise. That's pretty much it. Most of it will come down to what you eat, how you eat it, when you eat it, and how much of it.

I've been type II for over an year now and keep mine down with a combination of medicine and food changes. Try to keep your food natural as possible. Don't eat a lot of carbs, starches, etc. Eat fruit but not too many at one time, keep the fats in check cause these won't help any.
And go to the internet and search on Type II Diabetes. There are tons of great articles and books on the subject to help you through this.

As to doctors. If you have no insurance, try going to a public clinic or one of those same day clinics if they have one near you. Some places also take people that have no insurance. Call around and good luck.
My feet ankles lowerlegs swell also have purple discolorations on lower legs also raised scaly scabs mostl on my left leg,diabetic,I been told I have a circlatory problem in legs