Diabetes - Type 2 Community
New To Diabetes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

New To Diabetes

I recently was diagnosed with Type II and so I am trying to understand testing. The way I found out - the company I work for did a trial biometric screening because the insurance company is going to charge a surcharge if you fail during the real testing in the fall. My fasting result was 135 so my doctor administered an A1C test and it was 6.5% which I guess is right on the edge?

Well, I have been testing every morning per doctor's instructions and it ranges from 112 to 132. Today I tested when I woke up (112), after breakfast of an English muffin and a hard boiled egg (176) then again after lunch of a turkey sandwich (198). No snacks, only water to drink. So, I am guessing I had too many carbs? Each test was 2hrs after I ate.

Anyway - just looking for info about testing and what to expect. Thanx! :o)

you may also want to test before eating to see if your blood sugars go down eventually.

Are you overweight?  if so, losing weight may help, as will daily exercise.

Try reducing carbs (you eat less carbs, but more protein and unprocessed fats).  You can experimeint to see if this is enough to get your sugarss down. learn to 'eat to your meter'.  ie. find what foods don't make you high and then make these a main part of your diet. Typically you can eat pleenty of non-starchy veges, but you will need to avoid grains / flours and foods made with them, and strictly limit fruits.  No added sugar/ sweetener for foods (even artificial sweeteners should be avoided). You would need to see if you can tolerate dairy - particularly milk, which has lactose which is another form of sugar.  Else use cream for your coffee (it is fat and won't affect your blood sugars).  Avoid coffee creamers.  these use hydrogenated fats, which are very bad for you.

Normal fasting should be < 95.  Ideally 2 hours after eating should be < 140 (and even better < 120) - numbers should have returned to < 95 before eating again.

If diet and exercise cannot get your numbers down you should consider meds.  Metformin is usually first line drug to consider.

It is good that you have caught this relatively early.  You have a good chance of controlling this well and avoiding complications.

We managed diabetes causes nothing! (no complications at all).  But well managed means getting and keeping your blood sugars at or very close to normal (target is < 140 at all times, < 95 for fasting (better if it's in the mid-80s) and before meals, ideally < 120 2 hours after eating).

Hope this helps.

Let us know how you go.

Hope this helps.

Let us know how you go.
Thanx for the reply!

I have known it would be possible to be diagnosed with this for a long time. Ever since I was a kid I could eat 1 piece of candy and feel like I had 10. *shrug - Still, I want to make sure I take care of myself now that I know. I am overweight and am trying to lose (Weight Watchers).

As for your food suggestions - thank you! I need as much info as possible on food.
Well, did the same testing today while watching / avoiding carbs. Fasting results were 100, after breakfast 121 & after lunch 132. Very much an improvement over yesterday! Are these good numbers?
Spaghetti not cooked until it gets too soft is better than the muffin you mentioned at the beginning. It takes longer to digest which you can tell if the 2 fell in a bowl of water. The muffin falls apart quickly which is the same idea.
Today I woke up and tested - my # was 95! So I definitely know carbs affect my #'s, DUH! I am gonna miss my breads (LOVE sandwiches) but I AM looking forward to feeling better.

Loving the info I am finding on here - looking forward to learning much more!

great you are learning how to manage this and seeing results is very motivating to helping you get on.

Do try to exercise daily.  Ideally at least 30 minutes aerobic exercise/day.  This can be brisk walking. Biking. Stationary bike. Anything that works for you and you can fit into your day.

Work on weight management - it will really help with bringing numbers down.  Low carb will also help with weight management.

For carbs we cannot tell you exactly what you can and can't eat. Your meter will be able to tell you that as you test after eating!

Experiment with wraps, using the leaves of lettuce or cabbage instead of bread.   You may still be able to have 1 slice of bread (though probably not in the morning) and make a really thick filling.  

Eat plenty of non-starchy veges.  You could try making grilled or baked veges (zucchini, onion, egg plants, pumpkin, carrots etc).  Avoid potato (unless your meter shows you it's ok).

You may find that you are more sensitive to carbs at a certain time of the day.  So it can be worth experimenting. Ie.  You may find that you can't eat any bread in the morning, but a slice is ok at lunch time.  Or maybe rye crackers are ok (less carbs than bread for 2 slices).  Or that your blood sugar will not go up if you follow a certain meal with a 30 minute brisk walk.

Congratulations and keep up the good work.  You are on the path to being healthier.