Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Possible prediabetic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Possible prediabetic

I've suspected since adolescence that I have diabetes because of my many symptoms, but throughout my teens doctors refused to believe that a skinny girl could have diabetes, especially without having any fluctuation in weight (I'm 5'1, 93 lbs, now 24 years old, no history of diabetes in the family). I recently took a fasting glucose test with a result of 114. I then took an A1C. My doctor left me a voice mail saying I don't have diabetes because the result was a 6%, and anything under 7 was completely normal. I don't know if was a 6.0, or a 6.5, or what. I should be receiving a prescription in the mail this week for a glucose meter so that I can monitor my levels at home.

What do you guys think? I have very little time before my insurance runs out, and don't know if I can get to another doctor for a second opinion. I know home glucose monitors are not reliable for diagnosing diabetes of prediabetes, but how often should I test and what kind of results can I expect? Also, I thought the A1C was an average of several readings over a period of 3 months, but my doctor told me that that was the test that I took that one time. Does that make any sense?
Not much your doctor says makes sense, imho. You are absolutely right that if what you were given was an A1C it is an fact an average of all your blood sugars over a two month period. He is also wrong that anything under 7 is completely normal. Where do they come up with this inaccurate information?? 6.5 is considered diabetic, and yes, 6.0 is pre-diabetic. Your fasting blood sugar also puts you squarely in the pre-diabetic range (100-125).

I would test periodically (test strips are expensive and you said you are running out of insurance-buy as many as you can get before you do). Test your fasting (which ideally you want under 100). Then try testing two hours after various meals (like breakfast one day, lunch another, dinner the next). You want to be under 140 2 hours after. The advantage to this is that it can help you see what foods you can eat to keep your blood sugar under 140.

finally at 24 years old and 93 pounds you might want to have your doctor test your antibodies to determine if you are type 2 or type 1.

Send me a private message if you want the name of a couple websites where you can learn more from  more diabetics of both types.
Zoe